Chapter 23

STEPHNIES POV

We stayed at Zach’s house a few more days until Carter said we didn’t need to stay any longer. I was happy to go home early; it made me feel more relaxed about things.

I was packing up all my things when there was a knock on the door.

“Come in.” I say running around the room trying to find the rest of my things.

“Are you almost all packed?” I look up at the sound of Carters voice. We haven’t really talked much since our conversation a few nights ago. Not that I was mad at him but what he said still had me wondering about some things. I never asked him any more questions because everything was just so over whelming.

“I just have to find a shirt and then I am all set.” I look under the bed and I see it there. How in the world did it get under there?

I grab it and put the rest of my things in my bag. I attempt to drag it out the door but I have too much crap shoved in it. Why the hell did he pack so much shit for me?

“Here let me get that for you.” He stepped over to me and grabbed the bag from my hands.

“Thanks.” I say.

I followed him out the door and into the living room. Zach is sitting on the couch reading some papers; he looks up when he hears us enter the room.

“You guys all set?”

Carter nodded.

“Thank you again Zach for letting me stay. I know I said I a lot but I really do appreciate it.” I told him probably for the hundredth time.

He laughs, “Once again no problem, if you ever want to come back you are more than welcome too.” He winked and I smiled. I knew he was being funny but I also knew he was serious that if I ever needed to come here I could. Zach and I got sort of close while I was here. When Carter would go out for who knows what he and I would talk and he always managed to detract me from all of this and I couldn’t be happier for that.

He and Carter talked for a moment while I waited at the door and then he came and we made our way to his car. He put our things in the back and I got in the passenger seat. We drove in silence for most of the way, it wasn’t awkward but it wasn’t a comfortable silence either. I was looking out the window when I heard him clear his throat. I turned my head to him.

“So you uh glad to be going home?” He keeps his eyes on the road and he has a nervous look in his eyes. He is so cute when he is nervous.

He looks over at me when I don’t say anything and for some reason I just burst out laughing. I haven’t laughed this hard in a long time and once I started I couldn’t stop.

“Why are you laughing?” When I finally managed to calm down I look at him and he has an even more nervous look his eyes but I also see a smile on his face, probably because I haven’t laughed or really smiled in a long time.