We were blessed with a curse

I was lying in the hospital bed, already changed into dress from the hospital, regaining my strength from the previous contraction. Tears were streaming down my face, as sweat covered my chest and forehead, my hand clutching onto Jack's.

Jack's facial expression was full of anxiety and anticipation. I dropped my hand and laid my head back, taking a few deep breaths.

“Jack what's happening” I asked, my voice thin due to the lack of air.

“I have no idea” Jack replied, making the tears on my face fall even faster.

The doctors who had checked on me earlier wouldn't give me any information, which left me even more scared. By the time, Jack had already called everybody into the hospital, making me feel extremely guilty.

“Good evening Miss O'Brien! I brought you some water, since you must be out of breath” A nurse said carefully, as she entered the room. I thanked her with a small smile as she pushed the glass into my hand. I took a few big gulps, making me feel more alive again.

Placing the glass on the beside table, I pressed my hands lightly against my stomach. My bump was stone hard, still I tried desperately to feel my baby somewhere. New tears started to form once again, as I felt my body tensing up again.

I let out a yelp of pain, as I grabbed Jack's arm, pressing my nails into his skin.

“FUCKING HELL” I screamed, as my whole body cramped.

“Hey, take deep breaths. You can do this, I believe in you” I heard Jack say faintly, as I pushed myself into a sitting position on the bed, trying to make the pain a bit more bearable. My back was already stinging like a bitch and I thought that in a few more minutes my lower body would just fall off due to the pain.

Soon enough I felt a cold cloth being lightly pressed against my forehead, as I dragged my nails along Jack's skin, already feeling bad for leaving him in pain.

I let out long and shaky breaths, as the pain grew bigger and bigger, making me wait for the release. As I looked to the left, I saw Jack panicking. His eyes grew big and he started to shake like crazy. Once the contraction got a bit more eased up, I looked over at him.

“Jack could you please get me some clothes?” I asked, taking my time to regain my breath.

“You could give birth any minute!” He argued, making me shake my head.

“I can see that you're about to get sick, please just go and distract yourself. And when you come back, you're going to hold your little baby girl or boy. Please Jack, I don't want you to see me in that state” I said, pain in my voice and eyes.

Jack looked so fragile in that moment, but nodded in defeat.

“I'll see you in half an hour” he said, getting up and kissing my forehead lightly. I smiled at him as he turned around walking through the door.

As he was out of the room, my smile faded immediately and was replaced with pain instead.

I clicked on the nurses symbol numerous times, before she actually entered my room.

“Yes, how can I help you?” she asked nicely.

“I think it's about to come” I said through gritted teeth.

She looked horrified at me, before running out and calling a doctor inside.

He smiled weakly at me, before checking how for the baby was.

“Well then Miss O'Brien, it's nearly here!” He said, trying to sound cheery.

I nodded, taking a few deep shaky breaths, waiting for further instructions from the doctor.