See Me?

I hide in a corner when darkness falls. I wait. I watch. I listen and... and I long.

I'm silent, as I have no voice. I cannot reach out to you, desperate for the touch of your hand, the feel of your warmth, as I have none of my own.

You go on your way. You live your life. If you even notice I'm there, you avoid me, almost instinctively. Who knows what dwells therein? Who knows what might lurk, ready to pounce? What might crawl? Or slither? Who knows what might steal your life or your soul?

Nothing, of course.

Just one word. Just one smile. Just one... anything to break down this insubstantial wall between us and show me that you do see me. That I am here.

But there is nothing. Ever. And soon, there won't even be me.

You see...

I am the shadows.

You are my light.

You might be wondering why this story is more than 31 (creepy) words

You might be wondering why this story is more than 31 (creepy) words. Well, the title of this book is 31 Creepy Words and Other Horror Stories. I think this is, probably, only the second time I've expanded on the magical 31, but I couldn't help myself.

As Mr. Simon Cowell would say, "And here's why..."

This story was actually inspired by the lovely LydiaLuminiaEH. She made a comment about being shadows that I thought would make a great 31 Creepy Words story. That's what I tried to write here - a 'dark' (no pun intended) tale of being the actual shadows and waiting to attack. Once I started writing it, I chopped and changed a little as it wasn't quite going as I planned, but then it grew into something with an entirely different meaning.

On the surface, this story is of the shadows in the corner of your room being real, living things that want nothing more to be noticed by you. It's more than that though.

I spent much of my youth wanting to fit in. My family didn't have much money. I didn't have new clothes (or sometimes ones that fit properly) or lots of things. I had my books, really. I remember going to say about an idea I had for a school project, wanting to talk in the group I'd been assigned to, and being told, point blank, to go away. So I returned to my desk and I worked alone. Things like this can shape you. If you know me and know something of my story, you'll know I spent a lot of years being shy and awkward and self conscious. Those feelings are still there, but I am much more successful in battling them. I think I come across as more confident. Cheeky. Dry and sarcastic but, I hope, genuine and well meaning.

But, once upon a time, there was a boy who felt like a shadow in the corner who just wanted to be noticed before the sun came up and he was gone.

So, what I'm trying to say is, if you are one of those people, please accept this virtual hug from, probably, far away. I'm in the UK. Maybe you'd like to tell me where you are? If you are one of those people, I have found that it can change and you can be noticed and liked and, more importantly, like yourself. @Wattpad is a wonderful platform for that, as I hope you've been discovering. You are able to define yourself and find acceptance and find friends and more.

If you are not one of those people, then I am pleased for you. I would ask you, though, to take the time to turn to those shadows - or those in the shadows - and maybe be their light. A smile. A 'Hi'. A 'Hey, you wrote this? Cool!'.

When I was younger, the world was SO much larger than it is now. With technology and social media and communities such as this, it seems to shrink every day. Only today, I've spoken to people thousands of miles away. I can call some of them close friends, too. They are my light.

I hope you find yours.

I'm dedicating this to CaitlinOHanlon, someone who, for many years now, has been instrumental in brightening my days and those of many others. She is one is a list too long to put here in fear that I'd wear my keyboard out and still miss someone. Caitlin is one in a very large group who's light is a bright orange, but lights come in many colours. A rainbow, if you will. So, whatever your own colour, #BeTheLight.

I'm supremely proud to be part of the Ambassador run Mental Health profile ProfileMentalHealth. Please join us if this story has touched you in any way.