Chapter 5: Case of the ex

Angela

 “Do you think you’re ready to be a mother Angela?”

“Yes and no, there’s so much I still don’t know. Who taught you ma?”

“Well, I learned on my own. Sweetie, being a mother isn’t easy, but it’s not rocket science. You will naturally know the things you need to know, by how I raised you and other influences.”

        I thought about what my mom just said. I guess there was a confusing look on my face because my mom then said, “Everything is going to be fine, you are going to be a great mother and if you need me, I’ll be on the first flight to Miami; don’t worry.” Her words put a smile on my face. The rest of the ride to my place we sat listening to Keyshia Cole’s album “The Way It Is”.

        I remember that conversation like it was yesterday. A couple of days later, I miscarried. I was hurt, but not being one to show my emotions to people, I kept them to myself. I met Darrien, not even a month after Chris and I broke up. He felt a little salty about it, but he couldn’t be the one to talk; he was back with Rihanna. Till’ this very day, that girl doesn’t like me. She thought Chris was cheating on her with me when they were together. Chris and I told her, we dating the three months she and him broke up, but she didn’t believe us, so I just said fuck it.

        Anyway, I fell head over heels for Darrien. He was 20 years old and in college. We met at a friend’s birthday party. My weave was platinum blonde, and wore a skin tight black leather dress, with black boots. Taking a picture with my two home girls, he came over and photobomb us. He stood about 5’11, a sexy Peanut-butter like skin tone, with long, dark brown dreads. He wore a white Gucci polo shirt, long dark blue jeans and Gucci shoes. Hanging around his neck were three gold chains. One had a charm in the shape of Florida, the next one was praying hands, and the last one was just a plain gold chain. His body looked as if he kept in shape. His tattoos complemented his nice toned arms.

Leaving to go with my friends, he reached out for my hand and softly grabbed it.

“Excuse me, but can I talk to you by any chance.” He asked licking his lips, just like LL Cool J would.

“OK, you have my attention.”

“Damn, not to be forward, but you are gorgeous; just to let you know. I’m Darrien.”
 He said shaking my hand.

“I’m Angela.” From that moment, we became inseparable.

(A/N: Darrien's picture)

        We dated about a year, a couple of months after our 1 year anniversary, we got a place together. In the beginning I lied to him about where I worked, after I got to know him I decided to come clean. At first he was taken aback by me being a stripper, but later adjusted to it. About a month after he moved in, I found out I was pregnant. The first time we had sex, and I get knocked up. I wasn’t ultimately excited. I was only 20 years old and haven’t gotten to a place where I really wanted to be in life. I had my doubts and thought about abortion, but Darrien didn’t believe in it. He was so excited about the baby; I just wished I was as excited as he was.

        About three months into my pregnancy I had a miscarriage. Darrien accused me of trying to have one on purpose. He felt like because I was still working until I began to show; I was going to work. Regardless of him having a decent paying job, I wasn’t at my goal of money I wanted to save, and now that there’s a baby on the way, it was going to be harder to save that money. Months went by and I thought things were going to go back to normal. Boy was I wrong. Over the next year, Darrien began drinking a lot and staying out late night. We would often find ourselves fighting over it. There seemed to be a drastic change in his personality. I tried constantly to find out what was going on, but he would always shut me out.