~six~

Lyric's P.O.V:

I made my way back home after dropping Ashton off, feeling nervous about what he had asked me before he left. I pulled into my driveway and saw River's car there as well. I raised an eyebrow, wondering what she was doing here.

I got out of my car, figuring she had just come looking for me and was waiting. I walked inside and went up to my room, not seeing her in there. I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion and went back downstairs, "River?"

I looked around some more and then something outside caught my eye. I saw two people sitting on the pool deck, but I couldn't tell what was happening.

I quietly slipped outside, making sure that whoever it was didn't hear or see me. I got closer and almost fell over in shock.

River was sitting on the pool deck, practically on top of Luke as they kissed. I ran over quickly, "What the fuck?!"

They both jumped away from each other, River's eyes widening as she realized I had seen them, "Oh, uhm, Lyric! Hi! We were just uhm-"

I cut her off, "Kissing? Yeah I got that. But what I don't get is why my best friend was kissing my obnoxious stepbrother?!"

River came closer to me and grabbed my arm, pulling me aside and leaving Luke standing awkwardly, "Lyric, please, just listen to me, okay?"

I crossed my arms over my chest, "Alright. But you better be explaining all this."

"I came over here to find you so we could hang out, but when I came inside Luke told me you weren't home. Then we just started talking and decided to go swimming and then we talked a little more and we uh.. Kissed." She let out a nervous laugh.

I rubbed my hands over my face, trying to process this, "So, what, do you guys like each other or something?"

She shrugged and looked down at her feet, "I dunno.. I might possibly kinda sorta like him.."

I shook my head, not believing it, "This is so weird.."

"Please, Lyric, if this does become a thing, will you please just support me?" She pleaded.

I bit my lip. I couldn't say no, she was my best friend. I was just going to have to suck it up. I sighed, "Yeah.. I guess.."

Her eyes lit up and she hugged me, "Thank you so much Lyric."

I smiled a little and hugged her back, "Yeah, yeah. Damn, if this is what happens when I'm not home then maybe I should stay in more often."

She pulled away, "Oh, yeah, where were you?"

"Oh I was just with Ashton. He asked me to-"

Luke came over to us, interrupting me, "You were with who?"

Shit. I glared at him, annoyed he had been listening in, "It's not a big deal. He was bored at work and asked me to come and hang with him for a little bit."

His eyes were still wide with shock, "He asked... You? Why you?"

River slapped his arm and I rolled my eyes. I shrugged, "I don't know, but as far as I know he didn't really want you guys to know. So can you please just not tell the other guys?"

River gave him a pleading look and he finally nodded, "Yeah, fine, I guess."

I let out a breath I had been holding in, relieved. River smiled at him and I noticed his cheeks go pink for a split second.

I smirked a little bit. Maybe this wouldn't be such a bad thing.

~

The next day River came over after school again. Since the basement wasn't taken for once, we went down and put a movie on. It wasn't super interesting, so neither of us were really paying attention.