After

Disclaimer: All rights belong to Shonda Rhimes, I only own my 'plot'.

APRIL DIDN'T WANT to meet Jackson's eyes as he took the letter from her. He read over it like he was still trying to grasp the words. "Why did I never get this?" He asked softly. There was no anger anymore, just, maybe sadness and a bit of frustration.

She could only think of one thing to say. "The postal serves really sucks." She let out a forced laugh, wiping a tear or two before folding her arms over her chest. She was biting the inside of her lip. She didn't know what else to do.

Jackson looked over at her. His eyes were red, but he acted like nothing was falling from them and April pretended that she couldn't see it. "I need more than that."

"I sent it to you about, what? Three months before I came back. I thought you had gotten it. It wasn't until Pete came that he gave me it. Turns out it got lost, so they just return it since it was so long ago." Jackson stayed silent. "Jackson, I-" she didn't know what to say, "when I came back, I thought that you had it. I just assume that you had gotten it and you had decided," she pauses, "you decided to not pick me and you."

They finally met each other's eyes. He was suffering. He was slowly falling apart. She wanted to reach over and comfort him, but it wasn't her place anymore. She had to stay on her side. She had decided, even after knowing that the letter never made it to Jackson, she had decided to let him go. In a way, stopping was also a form of fighting. Stopping her efforts to get them back together was April's way of fighting for something much bigger than their love: for Jackson's happiness.

She still meant every single word she had written back then. Jackson, right alongside Harriet, mattered more than anything else to her. His happy ending matter more than her feelings.

Feeling she had nothing more to say, she gave him a forced smile. "I'll give you some time to process all this." She wiped the reminding tears, trying hard to make them stop, before walking out of the small storage room.