Chapter 9

2 weeks later...

Calum 

I tried. I tried my hardest to forget about her, to push her to the back of my mind or inside a compartment and never pull her out. It should've been easy, simple. I didn't know her all that well, and even though she was really pretty, she wasn't the most gorgeous person I'd ever seen. With all of the models and attractive fans and even my friends, she should've been shoved right out of my mind. 

But honestly, the fact that she hadn't even texted me really irked me. Her face kept popping up, like a really cliched movie or something where I keep seeing her everywhere I go. I can't escape it, can't get away from it. I feel excited every time I see the back of someone's head that looks remotely like her, my heart starts to pound when I think I hear her voice, and my palms get sweaty when I see her face in a sea of people at the concerts. 

I still haven't figured out why she affects me this way. Didn't I tell myself I'd just have to move on? Didn't I give myself every reason to do so? Then why wasn't I doing it? 

Oh, I wasn't moping; it wasn't obvious enough that the guys were calling me out on it. I was still joking and laughing and messing around with them, but her face or her laugh or her eyes or her voice, something was always there. It always showed up. I couldn't play a game without thinking about whether or not she'd like it, I couldn't hip thrust to my favorite songs anymore without wishing she were giggling beside me, it's almost annoying.  

Even now, trying to watch Beauty and the Beast with my mates--Michael chose it, not us--I wondered if she'd enjoy this movie. What would she say if she were sitting next to me? Would she laugh at the dramatics? Would she tense up because hey, four guys in a room with one girl? Or would she be entranced by the love story? 

It was almost worrying how often my thumb hovered over her name in my phone, preparing to text her. I never went through with it, fortunately. What would I say? "Hey, I've missed you a lot for someone I only just met". Yeah, that would go over well. 

"Why does the Beast have to be so dramatic? Why does he have to yell everything? Chill out, mate, she's not deaf." Ashton scoffed, shoving popcorn in his mouth. 

I glanced at him, my lips quirking in a half smile. 

"Well you know, he hasn't had any human interaction in a while, so he doesn't know how to deal with it." I replied, just to hear one of his infamous 'Disney movies and their over dramatic flair' rants.

"That doesn't excuse it! I mean he has a clock and a candelabra and a teapot telling him to calm down and think rationally. Don't you think he should take a step back and think, 'ay, I'm screaming for no reason. Even the animate objects around me are telling me to chill.' And don't think I haven't noticed how totally relaxed both Belle and her father are when those objects start chatting. And where does the horse come from?" 

While he took a break to stuff his face again, I looked over his shoulder at Michael, who was glaring daggers at me. If looks could kill, I'd be boiled in oil already. Luke was no doubt doing the same, but I couldn't be bothered to look at him in the chair. They don't find it half as funny as I do when Ashton goes off. It's like he doesn't realize that Disney isn't supposed to be totally rational. 

"Why did you start him?" Michael mouthed at me, drawing a finger across his throat in a quick slash. I snorted, grabbing a handful of popcorn out of the bucket in Ashton's lap and eating it with a bit more class. 

"Don't you think it's weird? He knows where her father is, even though he didn't actually go to the castle, and when Belle leave, oh look, there he is again! Honestly, where does he come from? Does he just appear from an air pocket?" Ashton continued, waving his buttery hands around.