14 - Wolfsbane

My whole body aches with a faint pain I've never experienced before. I blink my eyes a few times to become aware of my surroundings. My cheek is pressed up against something rough. My eyes adjust to the new lightning and I see Scott on some kind of bench above me. Where did that hunter bring us? 

   "Scott?" I whisper, hoping that the hunter is nowhere close. I slowly slide my hand on the ground and grab the top of his hand, squeezing gently. "Scott?" 

   His eyes flutter open before he squeezes them shut. "Chloe? Where- Are you okay?"

   "Besides the small ache in my body from being tasered a couple times, yes." I withdraw my hand away from his. I let my eyes drift down his body as much as I can from my laying down position. "How are you doing? She hit you pretty hard."

   "I'm okay-"

   "Well, look who's finally woken up." The hunter's voice speaks from somewhere else  in the room. I tense up at her voice. She's going to kill us. She sits down in a chair next to Scott with a small table by her. Her feet are placed in front of my head. "You probably recognize this device. Pot used to be smoked in a rolled up piece of paper. These days, it seems like all you kids are given a free vaporizer with your medicinal marijuana card." She lifts a small tube up to her nose and places it in the vaporizer. "Hmm. This type of wolfsbane is one of my favorites. Lovely smell. You probably won't think so."

    Scott struggles to lift his head up. "What? What are you doing?"

   The hunter cocks her head to the side, smirking. "Isn't it obvious? I'm killing you."

   Fears strickens me. I need to do something. I can't let her kill us. I can't let her kill Scott. I push myself up on my arms, pain flooding through them. I grimace in pain, but continue to stand up on wobbly legs.

   The hunter narrows her eyes while standing up. "What's this? A beta trying to be tough?" She sneers.

   "Chloe, no." Scott gasps as the wolfsbane evaporates in the air. 

 I force my shoulders back. "I'm not a beta."

   "Lone wolf then? Doesn't matter. You're still going to die-"

   Anger floods through my body  and I kick my leg up, catching the hunter off guard. My leg collides into her side. The wolfsbane is affecting Scott too much for him to fight  back. I have to be the one to save us. As much as I hate fighting or any type of violence, this is the only way to keep us alive. The hunter stumbles to the side, surprised. I advance towards her and send a fist in her direction. She grabs ahold of my arm, shoving me to the ground. 

   "Don't- Don't hurt her." Scott gasps.

   I roll over on my back and kick out a leg on the ground. She crashes to the ground. She grabs a small knife from the table, twirling it between her fingers. My eyes widen. This is not going to end well. 

   "Let's just see how tough you really are." The hunter lunges forward.

   I roll away seconds before the knife slices in the air where I was just laying. I push myself up to my feet. Keep your arms up. Erica's voice says in my head. This is just like when I was training with her except that the hunter is actually trying to kill me. Use your skills to focus on what your opponent is going to do next. I let my mind slow down along with everything around me. The hunter swings her arm at my head and I duck down as the blade swipes over my head. I bounce back up, kicking her in the stomach.

   Her knife hangs down by her side as she huffs out in pain. I suck in a deep breath of air to get ready to fight back until I choke on the air. My nose and throat burn like they are on fire. I stumble backwards, hands clutched around my throat.