17. What happened, you ask?

When I first came to Bluewood, I wasn't unwell. But with each passing day, I have come to realize that there's something very wrong with me. My health has been steadily deteriorating. So much that I'm barely managing to hold it from the people around me. My head's bursting with heat, every inch of my body's sore even with the superior natural defense that I have courtesy the little vampire blood in me. I can hardly wake up because I'm tired all the time.

I went to the hospital twice in the last four days for checkup. All they could recommend me was more rest. It was apparently 'stress'. One of the doctors even observed that 'It doesn't have to be your own stress. Your mat_ husband's stress can affect you too' he said pointing at Alex who was sitting next to me during the consultation.

Alex has been stressed out since then, trying not to stress himself out. It would have been hilarious had I not been in so much pain.

I had to force Alex to leave on Monday. We still have more than three months for the baby to get here and I'll probably need him much more in the last days. He has to wrap up his work before that.

The mood at the mansion isn't good either. Dan has been missing since the night of fire and the family is in shambles. They try to act cheery when I'm present but I know it's all a façade. Luc told me not to worry about it and that it was a normal thing for Dan but the look on his face told me that he wasn't buying his own lie.

On Tuesday, a day after Alex left, my condition worsened and Alpha Liam decided it would be good for me to stay at the hospital until I'm nursed back to health. I hate hospitals and the craving for blood that it brings along with it but for the safety of the baby, I decided to cave in.

They said the baby was in good health once the test results were out in the evening. So I didn't trouble Alex with the new details of my shifting to the hospital. I hope a few milliliters of blood in my system will put everything in place.

And that's exactly what I was doing with the help of the doctor standing next to my bed. He was checking on my vitals when his phone started ringing. He excused himself and brought out his phone from his coat pocket. His face fell suddenly and the next moment he was rushing out of my private room after mumbling a hurried apology. I could barely pay him any attention with my mind blanking out every now and then.

A few minutes later, Dr. Turner walked in. He was much younger than the previous one. He was the one who keeps forgetting that vampires don't have mates like the wolves. He fumbled up numerous times calling Alex my mate in front of him. I had to tell Alex that it was what the people here call their spouses.

"How are you doing this evening, Mrs. Carter" he asked with a dazzling smile that was hurting my head.

"She has been zoning out every few moments" mom answered for me "Dr. Tusk was here but he left without a word" she complained.

"Ah! Yes" he nodded as he studied my chart "He got a call from the Emergency" he said apologetically "The charts don't point at anything bad" he mumbled

"Then why is she having these episodes?" mom asked a little too harshly.

"We are looking into it" he assured mom "but like we already discussed you have nothing to worry, the results are healthy"

"That doesn't answer my question" mom was adamant.

The doctor sighed "We think it is more psychological than physical. We advised her to relax the last time she visited but it seems like the symptoms are more severe. We have asked for specialists from other departments. They will be here in an hour or so" he smiled encouragingly "You shouldn't worry at all. Dr. Wood isn't leaving any stone unturned when it comes to Mrs. Carter"