16. Burn

Reanna:

I grinned wide as I stood at the doorway to the mansion. He rushed up the short stairs with an equally eager grin. Before I could utter one word, Alex pulled me into an urgent kiss.

"Wow!" I breathed against his arms "Someone missed me"

"You have no idea" he hummed "I haven't gone this long without you for years"

I nodded in agreement "I missed you too" I smiled.

He leaned against the door frame to finally take a breath and looked at me with a happy glint in his eyes "It was supposed to be a surprise though. I was supposed to burst into the bedroom and say 'tadaa'" he spread his arms dramatically.

"Thank you for not doing that" I placed my hand on my chest "One scare was enough for a lifetime"

"I did that before?" he frowned.

I shook my head "No, someone else did when I was younger" I told him "Come-on in" I pulled him into the house.

"Seriously though" he wondered as he followed me "How do you always know when I arrive? Is it something like recognizing my heartbeat or sensing my footsteps because you are so in love with me? God! That would be so awesome and romantic" he finished with a hopeful grin my way.

"I heard your car and saw it through my window" I deadpanned. I couldn't tell him he was right, could I now?

He pouted in return "A man can have dreams"

I laughed and ruffled his hair "You are a day early" I observed.

"Begged dad to let me off the hook just this once" he said.

"Good" I smiled as we reached the family.

Alex was supposed to arrive on Friday after work but he's here a day early. Who am I to complaint? My emotions have been strangely unstable the past days. I'm angry at one time and then strangely mournful at another. There's no reason for me to feel either emotions while lying on the couch and binge watching Tom& Jerry.

With Alex here, I hope I'll have better control of my emotions. If nothing changes, I can always blame him because it's his daughter who's making me so emotional. Yeah, I learned it from the motherhood 101 guidelines: When things don't go your way, tell him that it's his sperm that creating havoc inside you. They say it's a great therapy. I'm yet to try it on Alex.

___________

Alex adjusted in the house better than I expected him to. By evening, Eric was already a fan of his. He even stood up to salute Alex for being so cheerful and optimistic about having a wife as ugly as me. Needless to say, they bonded well.

Luc and I were supposed to take Alex to the Alpha's office but we sort of lost track of time. The senior Alpha Blake took a special liking to Alex and wouldn't let him go until he was done discussing all his business achievements with my husband. Alex seemed pretty engrossed; he might have actually enjoyed the 'little' chat. Dan will anyways be here soon. I can introduce them over dinner.

Ethan and Dan arrived together a little before dinner. I have seen the Alpha get more and more comfortable around his family over the week. He usually arrives right on time or when we are already at the table. It looks like he's getting bolder as the days pass by and the family is unboundedly happy about it.

I smiled politely at him as he entered. He nodded and quickly looked away to talk to Ethan or whatever they did in each other's head. That made me frown, he usually smiles back. Was it a bad day at work?