august 21st

NOAH AND I HAVE been texting these past two days pretty much nonstop.

He started it back up last night after sending me a picture of some used bookstore in Kalamazoo with the caption "You would be in book heaven at this place."

It made me smile that something so simple made him think of me. It was a kind gesture, and I'm not very accustomed to getting those from boys.

Right now we're on the topic of bucket lists. His is quite unusual from the average person's.

Noah Martinez: Hear me out: Late night diner run. We're talking no earlier than 2 AM. And we have to order the weirdest thing on the menu, just to confuse the server.

Sent 2:28 PM

Me: And here I was thinking you were going to say "skydiving in Thailand" or "go in a shark cage" or something grand and adventurous. Going to an all-night diner is your idea of living life to the fullest?

Sent 2:29 PM

Noah Martinez: I like to keep my adventures relative to my resources. Next time I go to Thailand I'll be sure to add those ideas to my bucket list. I don't think Abilene, North Carolina has those sorts of things available, though. You do know I fully intend to carry out the items on my bucket list while I'm there, and you're going to help me.

Sent 2:33 PM

I smile down at my phone. He wants me to be part of his bucket list escapades. That sounds like something to look forward to, which is good for me.

Me: That's fair. I feel like I reserve the right to edit the bucket list as well though, in that case.

Sent 2:35 PM

Noah Martinez: Of course. You know the area much better than I do. I'll need your creative input. I'm thinking we should add arcade run to it, too. I saw a sick arcade on the drive down, right on the beach. It's been years since the last time I was at one of those.

Sent 2:38 PM

My stomach does a somersault at his mention of the arcade. He must be talking about the one Derrick took me to the night he . . . tried to do things with me. I'm not sure I can stomach going back there any time soon.

Me: I've been once. It's way cooler on the outside than it is on the inside. Let's scratch that one and do a beach trip instead. I don't usually end up on that side of town.

Sent 2:41 PM

Luckily, he doesn't press the issue any further.

Noah Martinez: I'm down for a beach trip! The closest thing we have to a beach is Lake Michigan, which does not compare to the Atlantic Ocean, let me tell you.

Sent 2:45 PM

"Who are you even texting so much?" Jasper asks in an annoyed voice, reeling my mind out of the digital sphere and back into reality.

I glance up from my phone, having forgotten he's sitting right beside me while we watch a movie together on the couch downstairs, meanwhile Aunt Colleen is out taking Willie shopping for back to school clothes. "Noah," I say, trying to keep my tone neutral.

Jasper picks up the remote and pauses the movie, raising his eyebrows at me. "Oh?"

Heat splotches my cheeks. "Yep." To cover any awkwardness, I duck my face to text Noah back.

Me: Yeah, I'm no expert or anything but I don't think you can compare lakes and oceans. They're just a tad different. Also, when will your family officially be coming to Abilene?