Chapter eighteen

"Wait," I stamper, trying to comprehend what Veronica just said. "William and Mary Theodore are your GRANDPARENTS?"

"Yeah..." she affirms, nodding, acknowledging our dumbfounded faces. She is the grandchild of the ones who created this. The Theodores are ultimately responsible for constructing this park of chaos that has taken the lives of so many. She is the kin of the people who put us in this terrifying situation. I know she is not directly responsible but deep down I feel a bit of animosity towards her for this.

"We read the papers and articles." Dem utters, confused, squinting his eyes at her. "They never mentioned the Theodores having a kid."

"Let's go find your friends first." Veronica interupts, opening the door. She steps aside and ushers us out before her. We brush past her carefully before she closes the door behind herself. I look up at the night sky. The moon appears fuller and larger than I have ever seen it. I close my eyes for moment and momentarily bask in the cool air against my warm and sweaty face.

"We can head east this way." She continues, snapping me out of my one semi-relaxing moment. She crosses diagonally in front of us and proceeds eastward. We stay silent and focused as we trudge through the park. I jump and flinch at every mere noise, constantly watching over my shoulder.

"You don't have to worry as much when I'm around." She says reassuringly to me. She doesn't turn her head to speak to me. "For some reason, I can just sense when Red Eyes is around. . ."

All three of us shoot her a peculiar look. She heeds our confusions and shakes her head.

"Again, I'll explain later."

* * *

Although the park was not huge, the walking feels never ending. We fall into a silence as we trudge behind Veronica. We approach the merry-go-round; Kellan and Dylan is not there.

"Where did they go?" Dem ponders aloud. Veronica scans the area and reaches for her tablet. She gestures for us to take refuge in the center of the merry-go-round.

I nestle myself between two of the carousel's horses. They're filthy and evoke a feeling of eeriness in the dark. As Veronica searches, I idly trace the pattern on the horse's saddle in front of me. Although it doesn't bring ease to my mind, it gives me somewhere to look and focus on instead of the ominous darkness around us.