Chapter eight

I awake in darkness.

Dazed and confused, I try to figure out where I am. My body is cold and the air smells of rust and decay. My wrists are bonded by something heavy and rough. When I attempt to lift my arms, I hear an awful metallic screeching. The same metallic screeching I remember from our first visit to Nightmare Land.

Suddenly I remember everything that occurred in Mad's backyard. I'm fully aware I'm not in her backyard now. In fact, I have no idea where I am. I quickly begin to panic, finally realizing how much danger I was in. Taking loud, shaky breaths I attempt to pull myself free. Hoping the seemingly old and rusty chains will break with force, I begin to thrash my body around. After minutes of frustration I stop breathless, sweaty and scared. I slouch over and begin to cry, my arms still bonded up.

Where am I?

I stop abruptly when I hear the breathy laughter that has been plaguing me. Biting the inside of my cheek until I tasted blood, I begin thrashing again. When I see that is useless I start screaming.

"Let me go!"

More laughter

"Please! Just let me go." I begin to whimper between gasps. I could barely breathe, the smell of decay and rust along with my fear was suffocating me.

I hear even louder laughter, and I feel its presence approach me. My heart hammers in my chest and tears pour down my cheeks.

I don't want to die I thought Please God, I don't want to die

"Are you scared?" It asks. I don't reply, but my uneven breathing, rapid heartbeat and tears answers It for me.

"Good." It laughs and I feel a touch on my chest, pressing against my heart.

"It has been so long since I have felt it. . . I thought I may never feel it again. . . But I was patient, and my patience was rewarded." It puts pressure on my chest, and breathes heavily.

I begin to blink rapidly, hoping that maybe this just a dream and I'll wake up in my room.

"You're not waking up that easy." It taunts me in creepy sing-song voice. "This is not over yet."

"Why won't you leave us alone? Why are you here? What are going to do to me?" I ask, hyperventilating.

I hear more laughing, and feel more pressure on my chest.

"How could I leave you alone when I'm apart of you? Apart of all of you? We're one, you and I" It replies "I live here" It taps me on my head"...but also here, this little park. It was amazing back in the day. There was so much to feed on... "

"You are not a part of me, you sick bastard. Let me go!" I begin kicking and screaming hoping someone in the distance could hear me.

It shuts me up abruptly by covering my mouth. "Shh. . . ." is coo-ed in my ear. "You're my favorite, you give so much."

I toss my head to the side, and scream even louder. Then I see, two red eyes in the darkness, wide and monstrous staring right into mine. I stop moving feeling paralyzed again.

The eyes widen and It speaks.

"It's okay to be afraid." I feel my chains tighten and a heat on my chest, accompanied by more laughter.

"What... What are you?" I whisper.

"Me?" It replies, touching my face. "I'm your worst nightmare."

And I lose consciousness again.