chapter 4 ✔︎

the boys had lost the game 9-8, but it was a good ballgame to watch

they battled back a couple of times, and cody went 3 for 4 with a single, double, single, and bunt that got him on base.
kyra and i were standing on the field near the dugout, and guess who decides to head our way. the guy that kyra has liked for two years now.
her hands started to shake, and she swallowed. i elbowed her like she had done to me. she whispers in my ear, "oh god camila."
"hey ladies." he smiles and hugs me, he then hugs kyra making me giggle.
she hugs back, but awkwardly.
"how've you been, kyra?" he asks, looking at her.
"i-i've been good, how about you?" she replies.
"great, we're a solid ball club right now." he chuckles.
"aye, nice jersey by the way." he smirks and winks at her.
she blushes and looks down at her feet. "thanks corey." she laughs a bit, loosening up.
"yeah, hey i'll catch you later but i gotta go. can i get your number?" he asks her, i squeal very quietly so only kyra hears.
"y-yeah, of course." she smiles.
as they exchange numbers, i feel a tap on my back.
i turn around as a smile creeps on my face.
"hello cody."
"hey mila. would you like to go get dinner tomorrow night? after your practice?" he asks.
i shake my head yes and grin. "yeah, that sounds great."
"awesome, i'll pick you up at 8." he smiles and leaves, walking away and leaving me grinning like an idiot. so i may have been fan girling inside.

i woke up and looked at the clock, it read 10:30. practice started at twelve.
i rolled out of bed and showered. i washed my hair and everything. when i got out i put on my white softball pants, blue socks, and a ucla practice t-shirt.
my hair was in a long french braid. i applied light makeup, but not a lot.
i then went downstairs and made myself breakfast while waiting for the guys to come over.
after ten minutes a knock on my door was heard, and then boys were standing on the porch. yes, kiké lived with me but he decided to have breakfast with the boys.
"hey guys!" i smile as they walk in. i hugged corey, joc, kiké, ad clayton, but when cody came up to me it was awkward. he scratched the back of his neck and gave me a cute smile.
"come on in. we have to leave in twenty minutes though." i say giving them a time. they nod their heads.
"i'm excited to watch you play. even if it's just practice." clayton smiles, the boys agree with him.
"i'm excited for y'all to be there."
"you've been killing it this season, mila. how are those grades?" joc asks, winking.
"pretty good, actually." i smirk.
"ooh, so she's not just pretty and athletic, she's smart too." corey slaps cody as he's talking to him.
"dude what the hell, shut up." cody chuckles as his cheeks heat up.
i couldn't help but smile as i look down, i didn't want anyone to see it.

we all piled into one car, and sadly kiké had the aux cord.
the first song he played was "
shaky shaky", by daddy yankee. we all rolled our eyes, this was one of his walk up songs. by the second song, l pony" by ginuwine, (his other walk up song,) we were all groaning and complaining.
"c'mon man, give us something good like some country." corey complains.
"or some rap." cody winks.
kiké sighs and gives in, playing "body like a back road". he then plays "u turn", by chase rice, for corey.
"u turn, u turn, the heat on. u turn, u turn, every little bit of me on." corey smiles as he sings.
"who ya singing to buddy?" i giggle.
"you." he winks, obviously joking.
i look to the back seat and see cody, he obviously doesn't think he's joking. his jaw is clenched and to be honest, he looks hot.
"cody, were just joking." i laugh.
his mouth makes an 'o' shape as he nods his head.
the last song played was "humble" by kendrick lamar. this was cody's walk up song.
he starts rapping very quickly which makes me laugh.
soon we arrive at the field.
i get my back out of the bag and put it on my shoulders, to be met by vic.
"hey gi-" she notices joc coming out of the car and she blushes.
"hey victoria." he smiles.
"hello joc." she looks at the ground as we start walking towards the field.
the girls already knew some of the boys since they had watched practice before, so they never freaked out or got star-struck which was great.
we started with warmups, during this time me and my teammates talk a lot and catch up as we stretch.
i look back to see cody's eyes fixated on me, he looked fascinated.
i blushes and turned back around.

currently we were doing fielding drills, and i was at shortstop of course.

there was a hard ball hit to me and i dived for it, stopping it. i threw the ball from my knees and got the runner out, but something was wrong.

as soon as i dove for the ball, something in my ankle sounded like it cracked, i had twisted it pretty badly too.

"ahh crap." i hiss in pain, holding my ankle.

cody, kiké, and corey rush onto the field.

"mila, are you okay?" cody asks, panic in his eyes.

"i don't know, it hurts very badly." i huff.

"shoot, let's get you to the hospital." kiké explains.

since i was pretty close with corey, he picked me up and carried me to the car.

let's just say i probably wouldn't be playing for a month at least.

______________