Chp. 5

It hurt me to see her like that. Lucy was back with Arthur, but I just couldn't figure out why. They had always had an on and off relationship, so I don't know why I thought it would be different. People don't change. That's partially why I flipped out.

"So, uh, I hear you're back with Arthur?" I had to talk to her. I just needed to.

"Yeah, we got back together over the weekend." She sighed and then got back to her sketch. Her blonde hair fell in her face; her blue eyes flitted around the paper.

"Oh, that's what I figured," I gritted my teeth, steeling myself for the wave of anger I knew would come.

"Hold still, Matt!" Lucy giggled. She was trying to draw me, and had been for the past three hours. It was the Tuesday after my mom's stupid dinner.

"I'm trying!" I forced a smile. The stairs creaked, which alerted me to somebody coming up them.

"Babe!" It was him, damn it!

"I'm in my room, Arthur!" Lucy shouted. "I lost my concentration. Matt, can I just do this tomorrow?"

"Hey, it's your assignment." I put my hands up in surrender.

Arthur came in the room and leaned over to kiss Lucy on the cheek. Though that's not what ended up happening: instead, he adjusted her chin and kissed her on the mouth, right in front of me, on purpose.

She giggled and hit him playfully on the arm.

"Um, I think I'll get going," I suggested, using her desk to help me get up off the ground.

"Bye Matt!" she called at my back. I dialed my phone, Diana.

"Hello, is this Diana?" I asked when the person finally picked up.

"Is this Matt?" Diana retorted.

"I take that as a yes. I was wandering if you wanted to do something tonight?" I looked up at the few houses I passed between mine and Lacy's houses.

"Sure, when and where is all I need to know." I glanced down at my watch. My parents were working late tonight. I could get away with it.

"My house. Half an hour." I hung up the phone.

.

.

.

I tidied up my room quickly, as well as tossed some spaghetti in a pot. I changed into my usual khaki cargo shorts and gray tshirt.

Half an hour was just enough time. I was able to not get drunk, but drink just enough that I wouldn't remember what I did.

I knew when somebody knocked on the door that it was her. Diana was wearing a mini skirt and tube top that was so provocative it wasn't even funny.

"So, Peters, what were you planning?" her eyes immediately looked to the stairs.

"I was thinking we could eat something and then..." My eyes followed hers. Diana smiled suggestively. "Or, ya know, we could just-"

"That works," she grabbed my hand and dragged me up that creaky old staircase of mine.

"Diana," I groaned as she laid down on my bed.

"Yes Matthew?" shit.

"You looked uncomfortable in those clothes," I grinned and pulled her top over her head. I kissed her, starting at her throat.

I worked my way down to her belly button, "I wish I was a gentleman."

I hadn't even realized if spoken out loud until she replied, yanking my shirt over my head, "I don't."

"So you-" Rich clapped his hands together.

"Uh, yeah?" I rubbed my eyes. It was not humanly possible to be that exhausted.

"Wow," Rich nodded approvingly.

"So why are you suddenly into me again, Matt?" Diana asked breathlessly.

"I found my senses, I suppose," my hand caressed her face.

"You did come on to me first," she giggled.

"You're not wrong," I felt regret drop like a rock in my gut.

Diana trailed her fingers up and down my bare chest, "Are you okay? You seem... tense."

"I'm fine, Di." I pressed my lips to hers. She ran her tongue along my bottom lip, and I gladly opened my lips to her.

.

.

.

I couldn't look Lucy in the eye for weeks, and I know for a fact that she noticed.

I burned pasta that night, not for the first time ever.

My parents didn't figure out that Diana was over.

I got off almost perfect, save for the guilt I felt. I knew I wasn't actually with Lucy, but it still felt like a betrayal.

"Matt, are you okay?" Lucy asked me for the billionth time that week.

I ignored her for the billionth time that week.

"Matt?" Pace shuffled closer, looking concerned. My blue eyes found the spot where Lacy and Arthur joined hands. I saw a bruise peeking out from underneath her sleeve, another from her collar, and another from the hem of her skirt.

It took every ounce of self restraint not to murder him.

"Yo, Pace!" I stepped on my own foot to get the anger out, I mean, without murder involved.

"Man, have you been okay lately? You've been skipping practice." I played the guitar.

"Nah, I'm fine, Pace. I've just had some things going on recently," out of the corner of my eye, I saw Diana waving at me. "Listen, dude, I really gotta go. so, yeah."

I bolted in the opposite direction.

The sound of Lucy's flip flops followed. "You are going to tell me why you're ignoring me, Mister."

"No," I responded, not stopping. "Lucy! Just stop! it's personal! My own issues!"

"Matt," I felt her brush my arm and pull back. I scared her. I scared my Lucy.

"Lucy," I whispered, the situation finally clicking, "I'm so sorry." but when I turned around, she was gone, leaving only the sound of her distant sobs.

"That was dramatic," Laila commented.

I shrugged. "I'm dramatic, I suppose."

"So Lucy is seventeen?" Harriet questioned.

"Sixteen," I corrected. "I'm seventeen. Arthur is eighteen."

"Wow," Dug mouthed. Life could have sucked so much less, but it also could have sucked a lot more. I could have gotten myself into worse situations, I guess, but sitting at the hospital, I thought I had it the worst.