Rumours

After reaching his house, at Mike's suggestion they decided she should go home just so she could have time to tell and convince her mom about the trial.

Mrs Verne came in when they arrived, with her 9 year old son. They all ate the casserole she had brought along with her, her son as chatty as her but equally funny. As they got ready to take Imogen home, Mike received a phone call and left the room to answer.

When he returned, his face looked down.

"That was my attorney. I'm needed at the court office immediately. I'm sorry I will not be able to drop you now. So will you be able to stay here alone?"

"Yeah ok sure. It's not-"

"I can drop her!" Mrs Verne announced.

They all looked at her.

"No no it's okay , I don't wanna bother you. She can stay," Mike said.

"No no it's ok. I insist. I have nothing better to do at home."

"You sure?"

"Yeah! Let me just go get my car keys." She stood up and moved to the door "Come on Ashton, let's go." Like a faithful puppy, he obeyed and they left.

Imogen turned to Mike and said, "since school is closing after this week, I don't think I will be going."

"Alright, then I think I'm gonna go tomorrow and ask for early leave because of the court thing. Take care and I'll see you in two days. Hopefully in victory." He smiled and she moved for a hug on her wheelchair. "Thank you for everything so far."

"Don't ever thank me for such things. It's my responsibilty."

Mrs Verne returned and they all left, Mike in his car and Imogen in Mrs Verne's.

It took Mike approximately 15 minutes to reach the court office where he met with his attorney, a tall middle aged black man with a suit and a briefcase.

"Hello Mr Dawon." the man said shaking his hand.

"Mr Towner," Mike replied in acknowledgement, nodding.

"Let's go in." He directed him to a room just ahead where inside, he met two more lawyers.

In the other car, Imogen and Mrs Verne were quiet at first. Mrs Verne felt the atmosphere intensify so she tried to improve it.

"So Imogen, how are you doing?"

"I'm good, just like everyday," she replied looking at Mrs Verne wondering if she liked her or not.

"Okay how's your family? Any siblings?"

"No siblings. Just me and my forever depressed mother who drinks till unconcious and I can't help thinking will commit suicide at any blessed moment."

Mr Verne didn't know what to say so she nervously added, "And how is Mi- Mr Dawson."

"He is a very good guy, I can't possibly tell you how he had helped me and how happy he had made me. He is amazing beyond words."

"Yeah," Mrs Verne said quietly, "I noticed. You know I have a daughter who is almost 17, how old are you?"

"I recently turned 16."

"Great maybe you two could hit it off."

"Maybe," Imogen agreed, but in her mind, she highly doubt it.

"You might be lucky to be the only child, I mean it's hell at home with my two kids despite the great age difference but I'll tell you, Ashton, looks up to his sister often like she is his idol. You would think they wanted each other to drop dead but Ashton is already bummed about the college thing. His sister leaving him which is about a year and a half from now."