Heaven and Hell

Getting to the hospital safely had been a difficult job for Mike but he managed It. All the time he thought, 'My daughter is dying'.

Getting there, he was forced to wait until further news from the doctors. He argued with nurses and snapped at other patients' family who were also hoping for a miracle for there loved ones.

Finally after an agonising hour of waiting in hell, he was approached by a young doctor who informed him that Imogen was okay and tests have shown that there was no new brain damage from the fall but she would be kept in for a few days for observations.

"Are you even a doctor?" Mike replied to the doctor.

"Hmmm. let me think, wait, they seem to be giving out free wwhite coats to strangers by the door but there is one simple step you have to do. You have to go through 5 years of medical school."

Mike flinched. "What are you, 16 years old? You look like a child."

The doctor was getting impatient. "I'm 22 and an intern." After a moment added, "If you want to snap at someone for the girl's sickness, go to her mom or dad. And for more information, go to Doctor Vincent McGrath. He is the neurologist or go to Doctor Samantha Beckett, the paediatrician. Don't come bitching to me. Now files say she is raised by her mother and I don't remember seeing her here."

"Uhh yeah, I don't know where she might be but I'm her father and I'm here to see my daughter."

"That's impossible, there is no father in her file." The doctor retorted glancing at the bunch of papers he held."

"That is because I just found out recently."

"Hmm not true."

"Yeah say what you wanna say, she's my daughter and I wanna see her, Doctor Finley Wallac?" he said looking at his name tag.

" It's Wallace, the E is missing and sorry, no can do. You should wai..."

"Excuse me, child, I'm tired of waiting. Who's your boss?"

"Find Doctor Vincent McGrath or Doctor Samantha Beckett. Now if you'll excuse me, I have duties to report to." And with that he left Mike standing, staring after him.

"What a snob! Just cuz he has a white coat doesn't mean he has that right to abuse me. Now if you'll excuse me I have duties to report to," he mimicked him. He noticed another woman on the chairs staring at him and his distorted face. "He was being rude," he simply said and walked away.

He went to find one of the doctors that the little braggart had instructed him to but was unable to.

Fortunately, he found a nurse who directed him to the Dr Graham McGrath informing him that Doctor Beckett was working at the clinic.

"Mr Dawson you have to wait for an hour more since she has been through a lot. In the meantime, if you have anything to do, you should probably do it now," he said straightening up some papers.

Mike thought of what to do and then he realised that he still had to receive the results of the paternity test. He walked slowly down to the lab department.

Edouard had been lurking around the halls of the hospital. Absent-mindedly getting a few turns from the ladies. He finally decided to to see how Imogen was doing. When he went in, she was asleep still. He was a bit irritated but he went and sat down, dragging the plastic chair beside the bed. He took her hand in his and put his head down on the bed.

Imogen stirred and Edouard raised his head up quickly. He watched her as she opened her eyes slowly. She looked at him like a strange object and said, "I knew it, I'm dead. And I'm in heaven and you, Edouard is an Angel." Shrugging her shoulders, she continued, "Well, If I'm dead I see no harm in what I'm about to do." She moved her hand, indicating that he should come closer. He slowly moved his head closer and she rised up, suddenly kissing him. It lasted for about a minute and then she pulled away, his eyes wide open with surprise. She patted him on the shoulder, chuckling and saying,"There you go...or there I go. That felt real and how I've always imagined it." She fell back on her pillow.

After a moment, he said, "Imogen, you, you are not dead."

"Well then I must be dreaming in my unconscious state," she replied quickly almost as if she didn't want to believe him.

"No, Imogen, what just happened was real. You just kissed me."

She rised again, blinking hard, "What!"

"Yes, you just kissed me, you think you were dead or dreaming. And truly, I will like for that kind of attack anytime in my life," he was smiling.

She stared at him with horrrified eyes and then fell back on her pillow. "Shit! I just wanna die now."

Mike came into the ward where Imogen was lying, staring at the ceiling.

"Hi," he said softly, "How are you?"

She looked at him with a lost look on her face. "I just kissed Edouard."

"What?"

"God! I feel humiliated," she covered her face with her hands. "And stupid."

"Yeah you can sort that out on your own. However, I just went and collected the test results and we can now focus on the court issues." He waved a big brown envelope and then put it on the cabinet by the bedside. "It's just that there is one small, big problem. Actually two problems. One is to convince your mum about the court trials and... are you even listening?"

She wasn't listening at all. She was busy chanting "stupid stupid stupid stupid". He sighed and walked out of the room, saying, "Teenagers."

Martin Wallace was across the hall staring into a ward with a girl and who seemed to be her father talked to her. Her hands were on her face as if she was crying and her father was doing the scolding. "Who the hell scolds a sick person?" he said with his hand cupped over his mouth and his elbow propped on the nurse's station.

"What," someone said beside him.

"Uhh nothing, what's up," he quickly replied, turning to see his brother dropping off some files on the nurse stations.

"Where the hell are the nurses?" his bother, Dr Finley Wallace asked.

He shrugged his shoulder and turned back to staring at the girl's room. His bother followed his gaze.

"Ugh! About two hours ago, that guy was trying to piss me off. He succeeded. God! he is such an old jerk. Oh and that reminds me..." he removed his white coat and placed it on the station. "The name tag's faulty."

Martin stood there and watched as the guy left the room. He was about to leave too when he decided he was tired so he continued standing there but this time with his head facing down. His eyes caught the charts on the station which his brother had dropped. He carelessly decided to read them.

The first one he took was boring and he didn't understand a word of it except the name, age and room number. Samuel Connely, age 62, ward room 102, suffering from endymoma.

The second one was same. Boring. Imogen Dalton, age 16, ward room 113, suffering: epileptic seizure. He couldn't do it anymore so he just dropped it and went back to searching the hall wondering how the hell his brother and other doctors survive such lifeless days.

That was when his eyes caught something. The number on the girl's room. 113. So she was Imogen Dalton. He just had to see her. He thought she was beautiful but he just didn't know how to accomlish thatgoing in and talking to her. Until he spotted his brother's coat on the station. His grin was as mischievious as an imp's.

Author's note:

Hey, if you are reading this I just want to say thank you so much..you know... for doing so.

Anywho, just wanted to clear that sometimes with Edouard's speech, if at anytime you see a grammatical error its intentional as he is French, just learning the English language. But as for spelling mistakes or in narrating, if any, its a mistake by me and I apologize in advance.

Now that that's cleared up, how's the story so far? Plz comment and vote. XOXO.