CHAPTER 3- HAVE YOU EVER

     Every night with her is a night well-spent. She brought light to my face and life to my dying spirit. She’ll never knew how many days has she been adding to my deadline. Carmine is my rock, without her, life would never be the same again.

Weeks have passed and that one night that we two met, our relationship have grown in to deeper meaning. Though, we never brought up the topic I will never take the risk of loving someone and knowing that she’ll end up getting hurt in the end. We’re more than friends but less than lovers.

   What am I thinking? No one will love me like before. Where my face and body is so perfectly honed. Where I am the star of the team and my girlfriend is the gem of the school. I have the perfect life anyone could ask for. I have a scholarship and will be playing for an international league after I graduate from high school.

No more chestnut hair to comb in the morning. No more healthy body to be proud of. I’m ugly. I’m worthless.

It’s 5 more minutes to 12. Carmine and I always sneak to the garden to relax but I ended up always sleeping and her, bringing me up to my room. But I always wonder.. How come can she carry me all the way up to the 5th floor of the hospital?  Does the nurses know? Does she have some kind of a wheel chair hiding in the garden like the mat before?

“Good Evening handsome!” There’s always a smile in her face that lights my whole world. She make my heart race that I have never felt before. When I’m with her, I feel so strong and healthy. With her, I can do impossible things. I have loved again.

My face fell as she said handsome. Is she blind? Is she joking?

“Hey Elrich Michael Penn.. Do you have something in mind? What’s bothering you?” She said while taking a seatnext to me in my bed.

“I’m no handsome! Please don’t use that word ever again.”

“You are. You are the most beautiful faced I have ever seen.”

“Please leave.” I said not looking at her. It really pains me to be lied just to make me feel better when I know I am not what she’s saying.

“No I wouldn’t…  Now, look at me.” She reached for my face with her soft hands that resembles that of an angel. Yes. She’s an angel in disguise. "Cancers patients are not ugly. They will never be.."

“No. Please, just leave.”

“No. I would never. I swear to my dear life that I would never leave you.”

Her words surprised me. “You don’t know what you are saying. Soon, I will leave this world and it’s better tocut what we have as soon as possible.”

“What??!”

“I don’t want to be pitied.”

Something fell from my hand. It was a tear. I looked up on her face and saw tears came rushing down continuously.

“Is that what you think of me? Spending time with you because I pitied you...Huuuuh?” Her voice sounded pained. I have never heard a voice that can bring out such strong emotions.

I became speechless.

“I want to tell you a thousands of times that you’re the most handsome man I knew not because I pity you.”

“But…” Then she silenced me with her index finger.

“My eyes can see beyond what it can visualize. My heart cannot lie. You are the most handsome man for the nth time because you are. You're strong until now. You survived what fate has thrown upon you. Believe me as my words are true. The time I always spend with you taught me one thing, life goes on.”

“I will soon die, Carmine. We both know that.”

“When I ask you to trust me, will you do that?”

“Do what?”

“Trust me whole heartedly. You will live your life until you want it. You will be happy because the life that you once owned before, will be given back to you........"

“I can’t understand you.”

“Soon you will.” Then she smiled like nothing happened.

I was now confused now about what she’s saying but her words were like deeply rooted in her heart. "Are you some kind of a bipolar?"

“Haha! Of course not, silly! But, let me tell you this..thank God for the life that will come. Thank him for the day that we met."

She reached for my face and looked straight into my eyes. "Thank him for everything in this world even though he gave you this kind of life.”

Out of nowhere, beforemy mind could process everything, words escaped my mouth. I wiped her tears and asked. “Have you ever been in love?”

“What? No.” She answered so defensively. Then her hands fell on her lap that looks so lifeless all of a sudden.

“Ever? As in you have never experienced any love life or any deep relationship before?”

“I have my brothers and sisters who love me. And my father who is watching me. I have friends bounded by love and not just because of the word “friends.””

I suddenly became so curious about her family. Though I know she keeps her persoalized just to herself and no one else. It’s impossible for someone like her to never have loved.

“Where’s your family?” I asked. Maybe this time she’ll answer my question. We’ve already known each other for a time now.

“They’re so far from where I am.” Her face were now full of sadness.

“You missed them right? It must be so lonely living alone.”

“Yes. I missed them so much. But I have to suffer the consequences of my wrong actions.”

“What did you do?”

“I’m sorry but that’s something I cannot tell you. Love your parents even though they left you.”

“Why? If they love me, they would be here through the times I needed them most.”

“They love you Elrich Michael Penn. Trust me when I say something to you. “

“You don’t know them!” My voice became a little louder and with the issue of my parents, emotions rushed through me.

“I may have not known them but they gave you life. They brought you into this world. Did you know that teenage mom who carries their baby in their womb nowadays aborts them? You’re so lucky because your mom is so strong that she delivered you into this world. Circumstances may have drifted you apart but forever you will stay in their heart.”

I fell silent again.

“Also, without them, I would never met a man like you.”

*thug..thug..thug..thug..* My heart was beating a little faster than before like it echoed in this awkward silence enveloping us. Okay..here we go.

“Can I tell you something, Carmine?”

“Shoot.”

“I know it may be too fast for me to say this but I think I love you.”

An awkard silence has passed and her eyes were just staring at nothing.

“Will you say something?”

“Can I just sing?”

“What?” I was now confused. Is it because she never feels the same way? I should’ve known no one will accept me now that I am worthless.

She started to hum and sing as my eyelids became heavy again. Her voice carries magic. I cannot fight this thing. I have to sleep.

*A/N: Hey guys! Thank you for reading my short story. I think this will take 2 chapters more for this to be completed. The next chapter is all about Carmine and her story about why she appeared in Elrich’s life. Vote/fan/read/comment! Hopefully, I will be able to finish Angel’s Breath within this week.

I love you dear readers! You guys are the best!