CHAPTER 2- ONE NIGHT

    I’m in the middle of my deep sleep when I felt something’s wrong. I sat up and went to the bathroom.

*Ugggghhhhhhhh* I wiped the visible red stain from my mouth with the back of my hand.

It has been thrice this day that I have vomited blood. I feel light-headed now so I just sat on the bathroom floor. After a while reminiscing those high school memories which has been the best part of my life, I heard a knock on the door of my room. I managed to stand up with my weak muscles and went out of the bathroom.

To my surprise, I saw a nurse I haven’t seen before during my stays here in the hospital. Maybe she’s new. Why do I feel so at peace right now? It’s like my worries and my burdens started to be nothing to me. It’s like I feel so energized with the atmosphere in this room?

She was sitting at the edge of my bed and the moon was our only light in this dark room.

“Um..hi.” I said. As I got closer to her, I was locked up in her eyes- her blue eyes that were trapping my soul from the inside.

“Hello.” She said so softly like I was only meant to hear her reply. “How are you feeling?” Then she took her steel chart clip board and her pen to write down her observations and examinations from me.

“Fine.”

“How many times have you experienced vomiting and nausea this day?”

“Thrice miss.”

After a few more questions, she closed her clip board and smiled. “Where’s your family?”

“My parents left me when I was only 3 years old. My mom was only eighteen then and a fresh graduate from high school when they had me.”

“Oh, I shouldn’t have asked. I’m sorry.”

“No it’s okay.” I assured her that everything’s fine with me.

“I’m new here.”

“So I noticed.” Then my eyes fell on her name pin. “Carmine…..”

“Yes?”

I looked at her intently on the eyes. Is fate really playing a joke on me? “Is Carmine your name?”

“Yup. Carmine Summers at your service!” She straightens up and saluted me like a soldier would do from a highest ranker.

“Hahaha!” I fell silent for a little while. Did I just finally laugh? Is this real? But, I saw her pout this time.

“Ooops. Sorry. You must think that I should be in some mental institution and not here in this hospital.”

“No. It’s not that. You just laughed at my name.”

“I’ve never heard a name like yours. It’s so unique and so alive.”

“Gee. Thanks Elrich Michael Penn!” She smiled so warmly that from the light that reflects the room, her pale skin started to glow and her cheeks turned to pink.

“Why my whole name?”

“Because I feel like saying them! Your name is very special I can say. I remember someone from you.”

“Really? A cancer patient like me?”

“No no no. Don’t get me wrong Mr. Penn but it’s your second name that rings a bell with in my head.”

“Ohhhh.. Is your boyfriend’s name, Michael?” I started to feel conscious at my question.

“What?! No! We’re just the best of friends. I have no lover. It’s forbidden.”