17 - The Flint and the Spark

A week after Mrs Weasley's collapse, she was back home again and thankfully more like her old self again. It lifted the mood of the Weasley household to a level where Hermione felt like she was spending one of her summers there in between years at Hogwarts. It made her reminisce the time she spent with Ron, listening to him blabber on about the Chudley Cannons, or when he tried to teach her how to do a flip on a broomstick. She ventured into his room from time to time, sometimes flicking through the comics which were still lying on the floor, collecting dust. She had even decided to start watching over the sport section in the Daily Prophet. So the next day when the Prophet arrived for her, she flicked straight to the back, looking out for any mention of the Chudley Cannons. However, there was none. Instead, there were articles talking about preparations for the upcoming Quidditch World Cup hosted by Australia.

"Australia," Hermione said out loud.

It struck her like a slap to the face.

That was where her parents were. How could she have forgotten? It had been nearly three months since the war had ended yet she hadn't spared them a thought once.

The pressure building in her chest was becoming too much. The dust of Ron's bedroom, which was circling in the sunlight in front of her, was making it hard to breath all of a sudden. She had to leave.

She'd been so busy grieving about the boy who had educated her about the world of magic that she hadn't spared a thought towards the people that who had brought her onto this Earth in the first place.

She found herself stumbling into the garden, almost gasping for breath.

"Anything interesting in the news?"

Hermione whirled around, a little taken aback by Fred's appearance.

"Uh... the, um... Quidditch World Cup," Hermione mentioned.

"Of course. That would be this year. Who's hosting it?" Fred asked.

"Australia... Which just happens to be where my parents are," she told him.

Fred looked perplexed. "Your parents?"

"I was protecting them. A simple memory charm and an idealistic dream of moving down under. I had to make sure the Death Eaters could get no where near them," Hermione explained.

"So you haven't seen them for... a year. That must be difficult," Fred sympathized.

Hermione sniffed. "It should be. But when you live in a world like this which they can't be part of, it creates a divide. I love my parents with all my heart but they can never understand my life."

Fred watched her, and then glanced downwards. "I sometimes forget the life you come from. You're such an incredibly gifted witch, that blood status doesn't even come into it. But you've always got that option to live the simple life if it all gets too much."

"I don't think I could ever pursue a muggle life. Not after what I've seen," Hermione admitted.

There was a silence between them while Fred gazed at the bushes behind her. Hermione enjoyed the blazing summer sun above them.

"I've always fancied Australia, you know," Fred finally cut into the quiet. "Nice and sunny, unlike this country."

Hermione nodded. "Me too. I guess that's why I sent them there."

"And as an avid Quidditch fan, I wouldn't mind attending the world cup myself?" Fred smiled.

Hermione glanced up at him.

"And of course, I can't go alone. That would be sad. I just happen to have enough money in the bank for two tickets," Fred hinted.

"Stop it," Hermione commanded, realising what he was suggesting.

"I mean, I think we deserve a holiday. And it would be the perfect opportunity to rekindle with your folks," Fred offered.

"I can't ask you to do that," Hermione stated.

"You don't have to. I'll do it whether you like it or not," Fred smirked.

"Are you pressuring me to go on holiday with you, Fred Weasley?"

"I'm pressuring you into finding your parents because it's the right thing to do," Fred wiggled his eyebrows.

"Why would you do that? Wouldn't you rather spend that money on... I dunno, some mouse traps?"

Hermione had no idea why she was trying to reject him. The kindness he was showing was unlike any other she'd received before.

"What on earth is a mouse trap?" Fred looked utterly bewildered.

"A muggle thing that kills mice. Doesn't matter...:"

"Look Hermione, I want to help you. But even more than that, I want to spend more time with you. It'll be fun. We both want to see Australia so why not go together?" Fred pleaded.

Hermione thought it over, honestly flattered by his proposal. She gave in. Besides, she really wanted to go with him.

"Fine, you weirdo. If that's what you really want," Hermione laughed, poking his chest.

"So, who do you think will win?" Fred asked, conjuring a sponge quaffle.

"You're asking the wrong person. I know nothing about International Quidditch," Hermione stated.

He threw her the quaffle. "Looks like I'll need to educate before we depart, then. You were at the last one though. The legendary Irish win. What a final," Fred reminisced.

"It was definitely impressive. Do you think Ireland will win again?" Hermione wondered.

"I reckon they've used up their luck. Bulgaria will be the team to watch in my opinion. Your old friend, Krum will want to catch that snitch to win this time," Fred told her.

It only then occurred to her that Viktor would be at the world cup. Perhaps it was a chance to reconnect? Although the thought made her gulp. He had been her first kiss. She had chosen Ron over him. She wasn't sure she could face him.

"Good old Krum," she laughed nervously.

"Not so much of a fan anymore?" Fred questioned.

"It's a long story. One that's best not spoken about," was all Hermione gave him.

"No worries. We've got all summer," Fred smiled.

A/N
Hey guys! Sorry for the wait. I'm still speechless about getting on the Wattys 2018 longlist! Thanks for being so patient with me!