city lights

city lights

There was nothing better than the feeling of absolute freedom. It felt like you were floating, no restraints holding you back. It was your time, and nothing else mattered.

Throwing up my arms, closing my eyes, and tilting my head up towards the night sky, I basked in the feeling. I felt the wind rush through my fingers and whip my hair, reminding me at the high speeds we were currently traveling at. I didn't care. All that matter was this moment of pure bliss-one of my lasts moments, where I could say I was the happiest person alive.

From the front seat, Matt pressed harder on the gas pedal, shouting obscene words as the adrenaline immediately spiked. It coursed through our veins, igniting our spirits. Aiden, was currently standing on the passenger seat, all thoughts of her seat belt forgotten as she moved her hips to the song pumping through the radio. She moved seductively, swaying her hips and dancing as if she was a willow tree, moving through the wind. She stumbled occasionally, the effects of the alcohol still working through her body, but she remained planted in the car.

Drew, on the other hand, was more reserved, and simply gazed at the scenery around him-the thousand twinkling city lights, midnight blue sky, and empty road. It was like the city was paused for us-no trucks, no one walking the streets, or loud airplanes overhead. It was like a painting.

A painting we were only gifted to look at.

Matt's Ferrari sliced through the silent night, cruising along the barren streets. Expertly, he glided along the roads as if he had a map of the city already painted in his head. I hummed along to the tune, streaming through the speakers, and leaned into the plush cushions.

Drew's curious eyes eventually found mine, and I finally understood the look that Aiden had described to me in ancient civilizations class. His eyes seemed darker, but still held a sparkle of mischief. They gazed into my baby blue ones, unmoving and unashamed. His dark eyes traveled down my body, inspecting. I shifted, suddenly feeling self conscious. The only thing covering my body was a white, lacy top and ripped denim shorts. I tugged my shorts down, attempting to cover my pale thighs. He bit his bottom lip, emitting a strangled gasp from me.

"Cora Reza," he mumbled, his voice husky. His eyes traveled up, meeting my gaze once again.

"Yes," I breathed, my fists knotting in my shirt.

He didn't answer-just mumbled my name over and over again as if he was reciting some prayer. My name escaped his lips as if it were the last time he would be able to utter them.

I felt our bodies shift closer, and the air around his became warmer...thicker. It was instinct. I felt like I was supposed move closer. I was supposed to need to be near him...touch him. Drew's hands found my hips, unbuckled my seat belt, and pulled me on his lap. We were by ourselves. There was no Matt Dyer or Aiden Lopez-just Drew and I.

My mind buzzing with alcohol, I ran my fingers through his golden hair, breathing in his scent. It was soothing, and I felt myself sink into him, cocooning myself in everything that was him.

Our lips met, and it was everything that I've been told. Fireworks. Butterflies. Sparks. Our lips glided against each other in harmony like we were playing an instrument- cautious, soft, careful not to make one mistake. His warm hands found it's way under my shirt, caressing my pale, creamy skin. I abruptly felt on fire, my whole body and soul was lit with a spark wherever his hands wandered.

I distinctly remembered Matt making cat calls and shouting vial words, but it was all in the back of my mind. I was in heaven. This is what I waited all sophomore year for.

And it all abruptly ended when Drew reeled back, eyes wide with worry. "Slow down!" Drew suddenly called at Matt.

"What?" Matt called back, his voice rising over the rush of the wind. "No way in hell. We aren't stopping till we drive through the whole city!"