Chapter 15

When it's morning, Logan's sitting on the motorcycle when the farmer comes into the barn.

"You two sleep okay?" The farmer asks.

Logan glances at me.

"Uh...yeah."

"You look like a man fixing to do a bad thing." The farmer says. "And your daughter there looks like she's helping you out." He pauses. "You know what happened when someone I knew was lookin' for blood?"

Logan looks at him. "What?"

"They found it." He pauses. "We all got a choice, you know." He looks back and forth at us.

"Yeah, well, ours got taken." Logan answers.

"Bullshit." The farmer answers simply, then looks down at the leather jacket in his hands. "This was my son's jacket. Try it on." He tosses the jacket to Logan. He tries it on.

"Thank you." Logan says.

"Yep." He answers. "You take the bike for a spin. Test the suspension."

Logan sits down on the bike as if he's about to ride it, and the whole thing sinks down a couple noticeable inches to the ground.

"Man, you're heavy." The farmer comments.

"Yeah I put on a little weight recently." Logan answers.

The farmer's wife comes in with a tray of food.

"Good morning!" She says cheerfully, walking in. She sees Logan with the jacket on and smiles. "Oh, it fits you beautifully." She comments, then looks at me. "Darling, I found something for you I think you might like. Remind me to give it to you." Then she looks back and forth at us and lifts up the tray a little bit. "I brought you some-"

She stops short when she's shot once in the chest, and then the head. She crumples to the ground. Next the farmer is shot and falls backward. Logan catches him before he hits the ground and slowly lowers him to the ground. I look outside the window with the bullet holes in them and see a figure lying on the grassy rise of a hill. The figure looks like Agent Zero. Then I hear the familiar sound of a helicopter and see it rise behind the figure lying on his stomach. I turn to Logan.

"Hear that?" I ask, referring to the helicopter.

He nods.

"Zero and his team." I answer. "We need to go."

He nods again and gets on the motorcycle, starting it. Right when the helicopter just a few yards closer, it fires a missile and I whip out my wings at the last possible second, taking off into the air and crashing through the roof upon the explosion. I look down below me and see that Logan had broken through the barn door and raced out of the barn the same time I did. I soar up higher above the helicopter, getting a better view of the landscape.

Forrest stretches out for miles, a river winding through it. There is no sign of any kind of civilization for as long as the forest stretches out-which reaches nearly to the edge of the horizon. But right on the horizon I see some kind of civilization. Like a town or maybe even a city.

I watch Logan, riding on a one-lane country road, disappear into the cover of the forest, the helicopter still pursuing him. The helicopter below me shoots at him as he disappears into the forest. How can they still see him? The top of the forest is thick with leaves and branches.

Then the helicopter stops shooting into the forest below and turns, going to a large clearing in the forest not far ahead.

What do I do? Come on, Elsa, think!

What do you do if a friend/colleague of yours is on a motorcycle, being shot at and chased by a helicopter in a forest with no kind of civilization close by?

Then again, no one's ever been in a situation like this, it's not like it happens everyday. That'd be an interesting conversation; 'So how was your day?' 'Oh you know, the usual-chased by a helicopter and men with guns shooting at me. Nothin' much.'

A second later, before I can think of something, Logan gets to a clearing and I see that two giant vehicles are pursuing him. Tight then the helicopter appears over the rise in front of him, and he digs his claws into the ground, turning himself quickly to face the vehicles.

I turn away for a second when suddenly a flock of geese, distrubed by all the commotion going on below, fly up and surround me, distracting me for a little less than a minute.

When they all disappear I turn right when I hear an explosion, and see that one of the vehicles have exploded and then Logan has jumped onto the second vehicle. The helicopter fires a missile at the vehicle, and the vehicle explodes. Logan leaps off of the vehicle. The helicopter appears to start to lose control, and I help it crash by shooting sparks and bolts of electricity at the helicopters' blades. The helicopter crashes, and Logan walks to the wreckage of the copter. I descend down right next to him and fold my wings in.

We arrive at the wreckage and see Agent Zero in one of the pilots' seats, half alive.

He's definitely going to die soon.

"Zero, come in!" We hear Stryker's voice repeat over the radio.

Logan picks up the radio before Zero can reach for it.

"You tried to kill us." He says to Stryker.

There's a long pause at the other end of the line.

"Logan?" Stryker finally says.

"Where's Victor?" Logan demands.

"Come back to base." Stryker says. "You and Elsa. I'll explain everything. We'll take Victor down together."

"Wrong answer." Logan says. "After I kill Victor, I'm coming for you."

"Logan, listen to me-if you go down this road, you're not gonna like what you find."

"You wanted the animal, Colonel?" Logan says. "You got it."

He slams the radio down on the ground and turns to Zero.

"Those were good people back there. Innocent people." Logan says.

Zero laughs as much as his two broken ribs will let him.

"It's funny how good people tend to die around you."

I turn to Zero and grab his collar, leaning in to his face.

"Yeah, it's also funny how the bad people tend to die around me especially." I glare at him.

"Elsa," Logan puts a hand on my shoulder. "Later."

I turn to him. "There won't ever be a later." But I stand up anyways, letting go of Zero's collar.

Logan turns, walks away, and then strikes his claws on the gravel. Instantly a fire starts, and trails its way up to the helicopter. I flick my wrist behind me, shooting a couple sparks at the copter. The helicopter explodes behind us, but we keep walking.

"Could've used a little help back there." He says, referring to the chase.

"I was distracted."

"What could have possibly distracted you?"

"Geese."

"Geese?" He repeats, a hint of laughter in his voice.

"They flew up and surrounded me!" I defend myself.

"Couldn't you have zapped 'em?"

"No..." I say. "Do you want a bunch of fried birds dropping to the ground?"

"Would make good chicken."

I laugh. "I doubt it."