Chapter 6

CHAPTER 6

Severus' POV

I spent the night having vivid nightmares about my worst nightmare. Remembering every horrid detail. How I had called my only love a mudblood. How I resented myself for it. She had forgiven me, but our friendship had never been the same afterwards. I remembered Lizzie, how much she looked like Lily, and acted like her. How she was crying after looking at my worst memory. Why did she do that? Did she feel sorry for me? No, it had seemed too personal. And she called me Sev. Only Lily ever called me that. I needed to keep an eye on her, and find out who she was.

///////////////////////////////////////

The next morning I sat at breakfast, in between Umbridge and McGonagall. I noticed that all of the boys  and Ginny Weasley were already eating, but Brook {Lily} and Granger were no where to be seen. I then noticed hat Granger walked into the great hall quickly, whispered to the four new boys, then they all left looking worried. I decided that the only way to figure out what was going on would be to follow them.

"Excuse me ladies." I said to the ladies beside me, not that Umbridge could count as a lady. She looked more like a frog with hair, but I didn't dare say that to her face. I followed them closely, making sure that they didn't see me but I could hear what they were saying.

"What happened last night? She disappeared after detention." I heard James Mathews in a slightly worried voice.

"Aparently she went to see Snape about her OWLs, but she didn't come back until late and she was crying. I pretended to be asleep." Granger said.

"Nice tactic, I've used that many times." Ben Johnson added in, but Mathews sounded angry.

"Bet you anything it was that bloody Snivellus! I'll kill him!" I froze. Snivellus? Only one group of boys had ever called him that.

"Awww, are you getting all protective over little Lily?" Daniel Martin taunted. Wait, did he say Lily? No, must have been Lizzie, just my ears playiing tricks on me.

"Shut it Padfoot!" Mathews shot back. Padfoot? No, no, no! It can't be! Not those stupid Marauders! No, it has to be people that have been named after them. Lily and Potter are dead, Lupin and Black are in the Order, and Pettigrew...well, he had disappeared wih the Dark Lord.

"Oh, you two! Stop it, honestly or I'll feed you to Fluffy!" The three headed dog?

"Fluffy?"

"A three headed dog, belongs to Hagrid." Granger explained.

"Thought as much" Johnson muttered.

"I take offence to that!" Martin said, with mock hurt in his voice. Granger his him playfully on the back of the head and I smirked.

"You take EVERYTHING dog related to offence Sirius," she grumbled. "Even your older self does." I didn't hear anymore as they disappeared into the common room. What the hell was going on? Was I going mad? I must be.

Third Person

The five of them bundled into the common room to find Lily on the sofa by the fire, wrapped up in her duvet.

"Lil? You ok?" James asked, with a voice that was softer than usual, which made the other four snigger.

"I'm fine, Potter, what do you want?" Lily said slightly grumpy.

"You came back crying last night, and you wouldn't get out of bed. I was worried about you." Hermione said, sitting beside Lily.

"Oh..."

"What's wrong? Do you want to talk about it?" Lily sighed.

"Ok, fine." The boys all at on the floor and looked up at her, while Hermione pulled the duvet over herself. "When I left you guys, I went to go and see Snape. But he wasn't there at the monment, and I realised that he had a pensieve. I went to have a look because I'd never seen one close up before, and I may have accidently fallen in."

"What did you see?" Hermione asked.

"His worst memory."

"Which was...?" Sirius asked, grinning at James.

"When you were bullying him and I came to his rescue. He called me a..." She stopped suddenly. "...mudblood..." She said quietly.

"He did what?!" Hermione asked furiously.

"THAT was his worst memory? Bloody hell I didn't think we were THAT bad..." James murmered to himself.

"He called me a mudblood. But I forgave him. I'm starting to wonder if that was a good idea..." Hermione hugged Lily.

"Don't worry about it. Look, come and get something to eat, it'll make you feel better, and lessons will take your mind off it." Lily smiled weakly.

"Ok. Thank you Hermione. I'll be back in a second." SHe picked up her duvet, got up and ran upstairs. A few minutes later, Lily came down in her robes and she looked a lot more cheerful than before. "Let's go!" She said happily. Nothing could ever keep her down for too long. They all left the common room and made their way down the corridor, before someone called out to them.

"Oi! You lot!" A deep arrogant sounding voice shouted. THey all turned to see a Slytherin with blonde, messed up hair. Hermione recognised him. It was Malfoy.

"What do YOU want? You're a Slytherin!" James said rudely ad Lily punched his arm.

"Don't be nasty, not all Slytherins are bad," she scaulded and James scoffed whilst Malfoy smirked at him. "I'm Lizzie, Lizzie Brook." Malfoy flashed her a smile as she held out her hand, and the others guessed that he probably had a crush on her.

"Draco Malfoy," he took her hand. "So what are you?" Lily looked at him confusedly and he elaborated. "Pureblood, half blood...?" She smiled.

"Muggle-born actually." Malfoy wrenched his hand back and looked disgusted.

"Urgh, I touched a filthy mudblood! That's disgusting!" Lily stepped back slightly, looking hurt.

"Why does it matter?" She asked in a small voice, unaware that Snape had just turned the corner at the end of the corridor and was waslking towards them.

"You've got dirty blood. You don't deserve to be here." Lily and James both pulled out their wands at the same time and pointed them at Malfoy's nose as Snape came into earshot.

"Take that back! NOW YOU SLIMY SLYTHERIN!!!" James shouted.

"I don't need your help James! I don't want YOU forcing him to say sorry, you're as bad as he is!" Lily shouted, rounding on James.

What is going on here? Why are you two attacking another student? It seems that Gryffindor are going to be losing quite a few points here..." Snape said, making his presence aware to the students.

"Malfoy called Lizzie a mudblood professor. He said she didn't deserve to be here." Hermione put in quickly, and Lily noticed Snape flinch slightly at the word 'mudblood.' Malfoy looked triumphant, but wasn't expecting what was going to happen next.

"Well, Mr Malfoy, I'm afraid I'm going to have to give you a warning. I do not allow students to say that terrible word." Lily frowned, whilst all of the others stared at him open mouthed. He simply stared at Lily for a few seconds, then left. Draco, who was in shock, simply turned and ran in the opposite direction and out of sight.

"What a bloody hypocrite!!!" James said, loud enough so Snape heard. " He called you one only a few weeks ago!" Lily glared at him.

"Piss off Potter, I don't need an arrogant toe-rag like YOU reminding me of that, OR standing up for me! I can do that myself!" And with that she turned and stomped angrily to the great hall.

"Oh mate, you got rejected!" Sirius laughed.

"Shut up. MaybeI just need to try a different approach to get Evans' attention. She called me James earlier, maybe she's warming to me."

"Then she told you to piss off and called you an arrogant toe-rag..." Peter pointed out.

"So? I have a brilliant idea!" Remus and Peter exchanged a glance. Knowing Lily, this probably wasn't going to work.