Chapter 3: Mistake

INTERROGATIONROOM: 4:48 PM

""Alright Rob," Finn said, "Why'd you do it?

"I'm telling you for the last time, I didn't do anything!" Rob shouted, getting frustrated.

"Oh, really?" Rollins taunted. "I heard you had a thing for her."

"No way," he said, shaking his head furiously.

"Are you sure? She is a beautiful woman, and she has a great body..."

"That old hag? Nah. I can get much hotter girls than her. She's 15 years older than me anyway. Not worth my time."

"That's not what I heard," Rollins said, smirking.

"What the Hell are you talking about?" Rob asked.

"Well," Finn said, "We heard you've been perving on her for a couple of years now. That you've been checking her out while doing your swan dives at the gym."

He seemed flustered. "Yeah, well...maybe I did like her for a little while. But that was only until I found out how goddamn oldshe is. The woman's practically going on 90..."

"She's 54," Rollins said. "That's hardly ancient."

"Yeah, well, I'm just not in to her anymore," he said. "Besides," he added, giving Rollins a creepy grin, "I usually like 'em younger."

Rollins walked out of the interrogation room and found Nick waiting outside.

"You think it's him?" he asked.

"I don't know," Rollins said. "He's definetly a creep, but the rest is too soon to tell."

"What's your gut feeling?" Nick asked, looking deep into her eyes.

" Well, he has motive, she turned him down right before the attack..."

"So you think this is our guy." Nick stated.

"I don't know yet, okay?" she snapped.

"Okay okay, I'm sorry I asked," Nick said, turning away.

Rollins sighed. "Look, I'm sorry Nick, I really am. It's just that this job has really been stressing me out lately and-"

"Hey," Nick said, cutting her off. "I get it. It can be...tough."

"That would be putting it mildly," Rollins said with a sad smile.

"I know," sighed Nick. "Hey, how about we go get a drink after work, and you know, talk?"

"Oh, um....sure!" Rollins said, momentarily caught off gaurd by his sudden friendliness and smoldering brown eyes.

"I understand if you can't though," Nick said, catching the hesitation in her voice. "I know you're busy and-"

" No," she said quickly. "I'd love to go."

"Great!" he said, flashing her a smile. She suddenly felt jittery.

"Uh..I should probably get back in there." Rollins said, motioning towards the interrogation room.

"Okay," he said, "Well I'll see you tonight!"

Rollins gave him a quick smile and headed back into the interrogation room.

Finn was face to face with Rob, looking both pissed and amused in the way only Finn could.

"So, I heard the old lady told you she wasn't interested," Finn said, with an evil smirk. "That must've really pissed you off, huh lover boy?"

Rob sighed. "It did at first. I mean, who does that old bitch think she is?"

"So you decided to rape her."

"Hell no!" he said. "During her little tirade, she let it slip how old she was. I'm only 40 man, I've got much better options out there."

"I don't think the ladies will be chasing you anymore when your sitting behind bars."

"I told you it wasn't me!" he said. "On top of the being old thing, she was a real bitch."

"She seems like a pretty nice lady to me," Rollins said. "Just because she turned you down doesn't mean-"

"Its not just that," he said. "I talked to one of her friends at the gym right before I was gonna ask her out. She told me not to get involved with her, that she wasn't worth it anyway."

"Why'd she say that?"

"She told me everything about Linda, and let me tell you, she might seem sweet but it's all fake. She's really just a greedy, manipulative bitch," Rob said, suddenly getting angry. "That fucking slut cheated on her husband while he was in the hospital. dying. She started the affair right after he got sick and didn't end it until after he died. Bitch didn't even take care of him when he was sick."

Rollins and Finn gave each other uneasy glances. He sounded like he was telling the truth.

"Hell, if Linda gave a damn, maybe the poor guy would still be alive," Rob said, shaking his head. "I'm sorry, but the bitch deserved what she got."