Chapter 3

The hallway was full of loud chatters coming from students gathered in typical groups beside their lockers. Some discussing about the latest fashion trends, others about sports and recent conquests, also the bickering on equations and formulas. There is the one I love the most, the ones that look like this is the last place they would ever be on earth. I fall under that.

I sighed and shut my locker, resting my head on the cold locker. I didn't get a wink of sleep last night. I was trying to avoid the nightmares, knowing they would be worst. Now I am feeling sleepy. If I could just get some sleep before the bell.....

"Esme! " I jolt when I heard a loud voice close to my ear. I turned around to scowl at the person, but got pulled into a bear hug and was covered by the familiar scent of my best friend Theo.

He pulled away and gave me a bright smile, which faded when he scanned my face noticing my dozy eyes and my eyebags .

"Hey" I tried giving him a smile, but we both know it looked far from that.

"Are you alright? " he asked worriedly.

"No" I relaxed on my locker "I'm not " he sighed and relaxed on the locker beside mine and brought me closer to him.

"I can tell you didn't sleep at all last night "

"I couldn't "

"You know we are always here for you, Shelly and I " I nodded

"Speaking of Shelly, where's she?" I released myself and glanced around the hall and right on time, I see her weaving through the crowd and coming towards us.

She opened her arms when she got closer and I rolled my eyes but stepped into her arms. My bestfriends' hugs are the best.

"Es " she pulled back and touched my eyebags giving me a disapproving look but said nothing about it. "Okay?"

I shrugged and she sighed in resignation. She turned to Theo and gave him a grim smile but it converted into a grin when she turned back to me.

"Guess what? " she almost shrieked. I gave her a look.

"What? "

"There is a new kid" she said with that wide grin.

"Here we go again " Theo said rolling his eyes and pointed at her mouthing 'crazy'. I grinned nodding my head. She turned to Theo narrowing her eyes and he raised up his hands in surrender.
"So? " I asked bringing back her attention.

"So, he is hot as fuck" she said dreamily and brought the back of her hand to her head "Es, he is gorgeous "

I turned to Theo with a raised eyebrow and noticed his clenched jaw. Am I missing something? . I turned to my crazy friend who is busy day dreaming about this 'hot and gorgeous ' guy. She also said this about the new guy last year and the next week I asked her about him, she said 'he is ok'.

Her day dreaming was cut off by the warning bell. We were all having the same class, Math.

We walked down the hall to maths class. I stopped Theo at the entrance and whispered to him,

"I saw your expression" his eyes widened but he coughed awkwardly and hurriedly entered the class. I shook my head and entered too.

I took the empty seat at the back, close to the window. I leaned my head on the desk waiting for Mr Edward. But I guess I slept off without noticing him enter the class.

"Miss Miguel!" a loud voice boomed, making me jolt up from my slumber and from my seat almost tumbling over. The whole class snickered, Theo and Shelda gave me a worried look.

"Sir" I said cleaning my face for any drool.

"Is my class that boring that you decided to sleep? " he asked angrily.

"Sir that is not-

"Sit down and if I see you sleeping again it will be detention "

I nodded and sat down. I can't believe I slept during math. I really need to clear my head. I raised my hand.

Mr Edward sighed "Yes Miss  Miguel"

"Can I use the restroom? "

He nodded and I stood up and started walking to the door, noticing a new guy sitting close to the wall staring at me intensely. That must be the guy Shelly was talking about. I won't lie, he sure is handsome, but why is he staring at me like that?.

I brushed it off and came out making my way to the restroom and went to sink. I sprinkled water on my face and looked at my reflection. My forest green eyes look dull, the eyebags under my eyes massive, my raven-black hair pulled into a messy bun with few locks falling out. I just looked tired.

You really need to get your shit together, I prepped myself. Now go back to class and try as much you can not to fall asleep.

I nodded to myself, you can do it, Esmeralda you can do it.

Can I really?