The Crash

This won't end well, I thought. "Just hold on," Mikey said. "Don't say anything, you'll be fine. I'm just worried because this shitheel is all over the road." His knucles turned white as he clutched the steering wheel tightly with both hands. 10 and 2.

When Mikey sped up to get in front of the under-the-influence driver, my whole world flashed white then back again. The driver went left as soon as we were next to him, crashing into the side of our car. And he wouldn't stop. He pushed our car sideways along the road, faster and faster, until we hit the bankment and the car started rolling down a field.

I screamed, and Mikey was trying to tell me it was okay, even though it didn't really sound like his voice. His glasses shattered on the roof, sending flying glass at us, but with the next turn, it landed in the back. My seatbelt was wearing a rash in my neck and choking me simultaneously. The car kept rolling despite the amount of momentum that got us going, though it felt like a video was playing the same clip on repeat the whole time. The next roll we took, the windshield shattered; sending the mirror/sunblind above the dashboard flying at my face. It rendered me unconscious. All I remembered after that was the sweet, metallic taste of blood, the car stopping at last, sirens, and a man's voice saying, "She'll be alright, but it'll be a miralcle if -anyoneelse- he makes it..."

********

"Uhhhgg..." I groaned, blinking slowly. Lights blinded me. After my sight, my sense of hearing came back. Monitors beeped in a constant tone in the background, along with the mumbles of doctors and nurses. My sense of smell: Rubbing alchohol, cleaning spray, and the faint scent of blood; though that could've been the dried stuff still in my nose. When my sense of touch recovered, I almost screamed in pain. I saw that my arms were covered in bleeding lines and holes, from where the glass sliced my skin. If my arms were this bad, my face...

I looked to the next bed, and Mikey was there. His whole visible body was covered in scars from glass shards, but he seemed staticy and somewhat trasnsparent. I shrugged it off as something to do with whatever was in my IV. I started to cry, and panic. My brain was still not fully recovered, so I struggled. "Mikey!" I shrieked. The doctors and nurses ran over and held me down. "Shhh," The nurse with the nametag that read 'Betty' said. "He'll be alright." The other doctors and nurses gave each other symathetic glances.

Tears streamed down my face and I screamed. "Shhh," the same nurse reassured me. "We know you're fine for now, so we'll turn off your monitor so you can hear his to make sure he's alive." I calmed down a little, and the nurse did as promised. I heard Mikey's monitor go off at a safe speed, and I breathed deeply.

I ran my hand down my face. I felt so many bumps where there shouldn't have been bumps, signaling scars. My face probably looked like something off a B-rated 80's horror movie. As I stared into nothing out of mock horror about what I discovered about my face, a nurse walked up to me. "Well," she sighed. "You're good to go. We'll put you in the waiting room, your friend's brother is there. He'll drive you home." At the last part she said, it seemed sort of robotic and monotone, like a programmed-in name in a robocall.

"Mikey," I cried.

The nurse glanced nervously around the room. "He'll... He'll be fine," she said. "Let's go," She helped me walk to the waiting room in my hospital gown. She handed my my bag of belongings. "These are really bloody," she said. "It'll come off with cold water, though."

I found Gerard, rubbing his temples worriedly, and sat by him. "Hi, Gerard," I said. He studied me for a second. "Hi, Ember," he smiled. "How's my little brother?" Again, Gerard's form was staticy as well. This was getting weird. And why did they let me go so soon?

"He's fine," I said. "Or at least the nurses say he is..." I looked down. Gerard sighed.

"You're a good woman," he said. "You're more than worthy of my baby brother." He hugged me. I started crying. Gerard did, too. "T-th-this can't be happening..." I sobbed.