|Four|

i saw harry in st paul and i am now a changed w-woman

la la la la la la la la

*

Throughout the week, I saw no signs of Harry. I don't know if he and his friends just haven't been out when I have, or they've completely moved neighborhoods, but I've successfully avoided them for two days straight.

Wednesday went by rather slow. I felt myself dozing off behind the desk in the afternoon; thankfully, Liam didn't notice. I kept getting up and talking a little lap up and down the hallway from the desk to the break room to try and wake myself up. Don't even ask how many cups of coffee I had inhaled by then.

Wednesday night, I went home and called my mom for a much-needed pick-me-up. I completely avoided discussing Harry and his possible gang members lingering outside my apartment.

"You'll have to come to Manhattan this weekend, if you can," she said. "Your sister's going to be in town and you two haven't been together in years."

"Yeah, probably because she's better than me."

"Oh, stop, Amelia," she said. "Allison is not better than you."

"She has a really good job, a really good boyfriend, and lives on the Upper East Side of Manhattan, are you kidding?" I said. "She's most certainly better than me."

"You have a successful job too, Amelia. Don't cut yourself short. Please come this weekend, it'll be good for you to see each other."

I sighed and leaned my head back against the arm rest of the couch. "I guess."

"Love you!" She sang into the phone, and we both said our goodbyes before hanging up.

I sat there for a few moments, not knowing whether to make dinner or just fall asleep where I was. I ended up making dinner and then going to bed, but I couldn't fall asleep. I couldn't help but think about a different neighborhood I could be living in, or even a different borough. I loved working at Liam's firm, but I didn't like this neighborhood. I decided to finally get some sleep and think about moving in the morning.

I went to work feeling a little better knowing I was going out with Cody and his friends that night. I was excited to finally have more people to talk to, nothing against Liam and Niall of course.

I sat behind the desk, mindlessly biting the end of my pen and starting to organize Liam's schedule for next week. I noticed a couple more files of people with drug charges, but they claimed they were wrongfully accused. I frowned, part of me not wanting to read them, but I was far too curious.

They seemed to have similar cases to the woman I saw last week. This time, they were in possession of a firearm that allegedly didn't belong to them, and in possession of drugs they were transferring to different cities — so they didn't purchase them, but they were in possession.

I didn't realize how popular drugs were in this city. Thankfully, I never came in contact with it.

The front door opened and I looked up to see Cody, instantly making me smile. "Hey, Cody."

"Hi, Mimi," he said. "Still want to hang tonight?"

I nodded. "Absolutely. I need to relax after this hectic week."

"Good, I can't wait to see you tonight." He said, and a small tint of blush formed on his cheeks after he realized what he said. I opened my mouth to respond, but Liam exited his office and called on him before I could even get two words out.