8✯

Edge of Dreams

"Daddy?"

"Yes?"

"Sometimes I don't know what's real, and it scares me," I whisper quietly. "Don't tell mummy," I say quickly. I know she'll get mad if she knows.

"Why not?" He questions, holding my hand.

"She doesn't like it when I talk about my dreams. I don't think she likes me anymore."

"Don't be silly. She loves you. She's just busy with your sister, that's all. She'll be walking soon, are you excited?"

I smile, forgetting what we were talking about. "Can you build us a treehouse?"

He laughs, "For you and your sister?"

I nod my head vigorously. "She's my best friend."

✭✭✭

There comes a time in our lives where we have to make a choice. Whether it be fight or flight, or what to eat for dinner. One moment I remember in particular though, is the moment that my father had to make a choice between Lucy and I. He made a choice between whose life he valued most. He chose Lucy. I survived, because somehow I always do no matter what.

However, I don't have a choice in my feelings towards Lucy. I can't control the hate I feel for her which combusted from a spark on that very day.

It doesn't take long for Lucy to begin crying even more. Except shockingly this time, she runs into the arms of Link, who willingly let her.

Though I know I will have to protect her when it comes down to escaping, I am happy to leave her here for the time being. She will just get in the way of my plans, and I will not let her ruin everything. She is the type who will follow the rules, and just maybe she might even toughen up a bit.

I don't hesitate to turn and leave the room, except when my hand touches the identity pad, it does not light up. I try again, and it doesn't work. It's clear that I have no access or control on this level, something I will have to remember.

The woman speaks in a calm, collected voice. "There will be time where you may be free to have meetings scheduled between your sister and yourself. This is only when you reach a level of achievement that is desirable."

I roll my eyes, knowing that any meetings will be in the distant future if it links with my achievement. Though I think I've been making good progress, I am still behind compared to others. "Can I leave now?" I say whilst turning back around to face them. Lucy is still crying. I roll my eyes again at her.

"You will be escorted to a waiting room where you will remain until Lucy has gone through processing."

I tell them okay, and let the man walk me to a room. All I know is that it will give me a chance to see this level and get out of lessons, so I can't complain. Yet when I reach the room, I immediately regret my decision to follow. The room is just a box with a chair in the middle, a small window too high to reach, and a door to the side which I presume leads to a toilet.

He leaves me alone, in my own small prison, ready to desperately start marking the hours waiting on the wall.

It's late afternoon by the time I'm back on my own level and I feel more comfortable in my familiar surroundings, no matter the restrictions.

The instant the doors to open up to the Reflection Section, the sound of interaction fills my ears. It's like the golden gates have opened up with the sound of holy music playing as they open. I'm late, but I don't care. Rules be damned.