2✯

Edge of Dreams

I hop my pink bunny around the room on every surface available, even on my fathers face. He laughs and grabs my bunny, only to pick me up and throw me over his shoulder.

"Mummy!" I squeal. "Help!"

I push myself up enough to see her leaning against the doorway smiling happily. I laugh and wiggle as he tickles me.

"She can't save you!" My father chuckles out, still tickling my sides and holding me so I don't fall.

Soon enough, she comes to save the day, scooping me out of his arms. I squeeze her into a tight hug, and she holds me just as tightly.

I pull back grinning, to look at her beautiful face. "You helped me." She smiles whilst brushing my blonde hair back.

"I'll always help you."

✭✭✭

"Attention everyone." We all listen and go silent. "Make your way to the other side of the room." Nobody moves for a second. "NOW!!!" The man's voice booms and we all jump and scurry over.

I notice something that I didn't when I walked into the room. On the other side of the room there are metal bars a couple feet above our heads, all of them crossing over in a checkerboard pattern. We all walk to stand beneath them. I can't see who our trainer is, from the people in front of me. Sadly, it's the people with the pins that are in front of me.

"One of today's challenges is for you all to grab those bars above you and hang without touching the floor of course." He says.

A part of me is happy that it's as easy as that. It seems simple enough, although looking at the sort of overweight boy to my left shaking slightly, I'm sure there's more to it.

"On the count of three, I want you all to jump and grab hold of the bars. One. Two. Three." We all jump and pull our feet off the ground in sync.

"That's it? Just hang here? That's easy." A girl calls to the man.

"When will newbies learn when to shut up?" I hear Stephanie mutter to my right.

I hear the man's footsteps move away to the area we were all waiting before. The next thing I know, I hear a slow whirring and I see the floor below slowly slid away.

My eyes widen. For a second I think I'm going to fall, but I tighten my grip.

"Holy shit." I hear someone mumble. The people in front of me cheer and whoop in excitement.

Looking down, all I see is darkness. I know the tunnel is deep, but it's too dark for even the artificial lighting above to light up how deep.

"What's down there?" The same girl who asked a question earlier asks the man. "Water or a net or something?"

The man chuckles and it echoes slightly around the room. "I don't know. Why don't you find out yourself? No funny business." Then I hear the sound of the door sliding open and shut.

At first they're quiet, but then the bars we're holding onto begin to shake as the people in front start to mess around. Some start to do pull ups, some swing around, whilst I hang on for dear life.

I hear people behind me grumble and groan over the shaking of the bars. I turn my head to Stephanie. "We have to hang on to this with them practically shaking the whole thing down? What if we drop? Is there a net at the bottom?"

"Pretty much, and if we drop, we die, or at least break a lot of bones. There's nothing at the bottom."

"How do you know?"