Additional Chapter

In the dining room, Gabrielle announces that there are two days left of school while serving Maria and her brother breakfast.

"Thanks, Gabby." Maria turns to her older brother. "What are you doing up this early?"

Jullian looks up from his food. "Well, maybe I wanted to see you off to school. This morning, I play the role of caring elder brother." He clutches his chest.

"You have an early audition?"

Jullian sighs deeply. "Yes, I have an audition this morning. But I will gladly wait with my dear younger sister for her school bus."

"That's very thoughtful of you."

"Thank you. Can you girls make a great dessert for me to bring to a party on Saturday?"

"No."

"I'm walking you to the bus, ungrateful child."

"You can buy something," Maria suggests.

"Food is so much better when you girls prepare it," he declares solemnly.

"I'll make something. That's what I am here for!"

Maria shakes her head. "You don't have to baby him, Gabby. He's in college."

Gabrielle laughs. "It's no trouble at all."

Maria snorts, crossing her arms over her chest. "I will invite Christine over and we will help you," she assures Gabrielle. "We need to go to the bus stop now." She stands up from the table and grabs her bag.

"I did a thing," Jullian says as he and Maria wait for the bus, "and you're mad."

"Where did you pull that conclusion from?"

"I know facial expressions. I am an actor."

"As of now, you are a starving artist."

Jullian leans over and flicks the back of her head. Maria looks up at his easy-going facial expression and lazy thumbs in his pockets. Is it fair to lash out at him? I need to stick up for Gabby.

Maria takes a step back. "I don't like the way you use Gabrielle."

Jullian smiles. "That's what she's there for. It's her job to help us."

"Gabby is like a sister to me. I know I can be protective of her... but sometimes it seems like she's treated as a servant or something."

"We both know that she isn't a servant."

"Does Gabby know that?"

"Of course she does. Gabrielle is a genuinely nice enough person to help us out."

"I wish she could have more free time."

"Your will is commendable, Bubbles, but she seems happy with her situation at the moment."

"She hasn't known any other situation for years."

"Ah. Here comes the old yellow. Have a great day!"

Maria brushes past her brother's outstretched palm and steps onto the bus.

The school day inches by slowly.

From Christine: Excited whispers erupt during math!

To Christine: What?

From Christine: Classes switch soon. U will c!

Maria shakes her head and slides her phone into her back pocket.

"Have a great break, everyone! Keep yourself updated with the news and visit a few history museums this summer. Come by and visit me next year! Spit out your gum, Richard."

There is a small crowd already gathered by the window when Maria walks into her math class.

What's going on?

"Can you see anything?"

"There are some pretty rich brats in this school, but not limousine rich."

Maria's remaining bitterness finally drains from her system... only to be replaced by dread.

She feels a light hand on her back and spins around, startled.

"You're blocking the doorway," Bleu says quietly.

Maria clears her throat and walks to her seat.

"Check her out!"

"Whoa."

"That's Patricia Donatrove! What's she doing here?"

"Donatrove?"

Maria's head snaps in the direction of Bleu's voice. He nervously bites his lip and blinks at her apologetically.

"Everyone in their seats."

The intercom clicks on. "Mrs Kyong?"

"Yes?"

"Maria will not be riding the bus home this afternoon. She will be picked up at the front."

"Okay. Thank you."

Patricia.

The rest of the class passes by in a daze. Before Maria realizes it, the dismissal bell rings and the school day is over.

If only math class could have passed by as quickly prior to now.

Maria gets her things from her locker and proceeds to hide in a bathroom stall for a few minutes while her fellow students clear the school.

To Christine: I am going to die without knowing your secret triple chocolate brownie recipe. I hope you feel guilty.

From Christine: I'll make a handwritten copy and put it in ur casket.

To Christine: That isn't as satisfying.

From Christine: Just go!

"How many people asked for your autograph when you walked into the building?" Maria hastily shuts the limousine door behind her.

"A group of girls approached me and asked for my autograph. Unfortunately, I was not able to fulfil their request. What took you so long?"

"I hid in the girls' bathroom for a while so people wouldn't see me getting into a limo with you."

"Oh, how silly of you! It is nice to see you also, cousin. What are you wearing?"

Ugh. "Why are you at my school?"

"Didn't you want to make a big bang going out of the school year?"

"I have two days left! And no, I do not want to make a big bang."

"Your mother needed someone to pick you up. You know, I am on the rise of being famous. You could show me some respect."

"Patricia..."

"Isn't this limo great, Bubbles?"

"Jullian?"

"No swim practice tonight. Patricia's family is coming over for dinner."

"Any other fantastic news while we're at it?"

"I totally nailed my audition."

Maria swallows and looks up at her brother. "Congratulations," she says lightly.