One

A note streaks across the plastic tabletop, sliding to a stop in front of Maria. She unfolds the paper in her lap, expecting an in-the-moment comment, and narrows her eyes at the subtle message in unfamiliar handwriting. She proceeds to break down the text.

College-ruled paper. The sender must be someone who either takes a lot of notes or very detailed notes, so they are most likely taking advanced classes. They could also be someone who genuinely enjoys writing, already narrowing down the list of possible senders. Smudged ink. The sender appears to be left-handed and confident enough in their writing to use a pen.

Maria observes that one of her classmates is directly behind her at the pencil sharpener. Another student is doodling on a torn piece of loose-leaf paper with their left hand.

Bleu Watson obviously avoids her gaze as it passes over him.

Maria rereads the discouragingly basic print, disappointed in the brilliant mind lacking expression in the real world.

Hi.

The message is a bitter sweet throwback to a passed friendship. Maria thinks of a reply.

Hello.

We won't get anywhere by communicating like that.

You've decided to acknowledge my existence again. That's very thoughtful of you.

This is what I would like to write, but I must restrain myself.

You are welcome to approach me this evening.

Maria waits to return the note to Bleu, deciding there is no reason to appear desperate to talk to him.

Her stride falters when she realizes Bleu isn't at his locker at the end of the day. She turns away and walks out of the doors and towards the bus.

"Wait up, Maria!" Maria turns around to see her friend, Christine Brier.

Slightly flushed cheeks. She's grinning-not a reaction to an awful joke, perfect score, or overall good day. Maria raises an eyebrow. "How's Nathaniel?"

Christine scratches her nose and averts her gaze, unconsciously awarding Maria's observation skills. "He is my friend."

"Okay."

"Do you have practice today?" Christine asks.

"Yes."

"I'll text you later, then." Christine departs with a warm smile.

Maria steps onto her bus, takes a seat near the front, and leans her back against the window to peer over the divider. She watches the antics of a Blondbie. Maria notices a cat charm on the girl's bracelet but no obvious signs of interaction with an animal. Maria cannot picture her even acknowledging a pet. What is the significance of the cat? A cat could symbolize royalty, grace, or even cleverness. She decides to move on to someone with more depth.

Maria watches one of the school's star sports players as he passes her to get off the bus. His reputation revolves around baseball, but it isn't his passion. Though he may have big shoes to fill, it may be time for him to wear shoes of his own. I've seen his paintings around school; his artistic talent shouldn't go unappreciated.

Bleu is a talented artist as well. Maria immediately scolds herself for allowing such thoughts. I need to work on keeping my priorities in check. I can't let my emotions influence my common sense.