Major Set-up

Dedicated to Ion26_5_11 for being so awesome and for helping advertise!(:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Nikki, I—“

 “Ashley, I know what you are.” I whispered. I’m sure; I know what she’s hiding. I’ve been sensing her being strange for the past few days. And right now, it does feel a little creepy. So, yep, I must be right then.

“Say it. Out loud.”  she said with the same intensity as me.

“You’re a vampire.” I looked into her eyes. Her face showed no expression, no shock. Huh. So it must be true then. Then as if she was woken out of a trance, her eyebrows creased, her nose wrinkled, her lips set in a straight line, which tugged up a little at the corner. Seconds later, she burst out laughing.

“Oh my god, Nikki---I’m a what?” she said breathlessly as she laughed, tears trickling down her face.

“You’re a vampire.” I repeated, smugly. She just stared at me blankly, quite amused. What?! She really did act like a vampire for the past few days! It’s like one minute I’m in the phone with her, and then she appears on my doorstep the next!! And also, now that I’ve noticed, Ashley has gold-ish brown eyes. The exact same eyes as the…Collin?...Connell?...Oh…yeah, Cullen dude. That’s pretty creepy, I tell you.

“You have gold eyes Ashley! How can you not be one?!” I exclaimed, frustrated. It just triggered her to laugh hysterically, slapping her hands on her sketchbook, trying to get words out to say.

“Oh my god, you can’t be serious!” She said, still lost in her laughing fit. Ha. Ha. Ha. Real funny, Ashley. I’m starting to think that vampires have poor sense of humor. I glanced at the wall clock. Yes! Two more minutes, and I’m out of here. As much as I love my best friend I have to get out of here.

Two minutes passed, and Ashley, my vampire best friend’s laughing died down a little as she followed me to Period 2. Ashley and I have had the same time table our whole lives, well, except for Math which she’s in the Advanced Class. I headed to my locker and placed the things I didn’t need inside. As I was about to close my locker, my eyes flew to a picture of my dad, stuck on the inside of my locker.

My dad was a good, good, man. He was the bravest fireman and the best father I could hope for. My heart still ached from the memory when I last saw him, saying that he’ll be back for dinner, but he never did come back.

I sighed, and took a last look at the picture, and closed my locker, putting my key away. I walked towards Ashley’s locker, which was on the far opposite side. Our eyes met, and she once again returned to her laughing fit.

“Would you stop that?!” I said firmly.

“Okay, Nikki, first, I’m not a vampire.” She wiped stray tears off of her cheeks as she regained composure.

“Then why do you have gold eyes?” I questioned, raising one eyebrow.

“They’re contact lenses, Nikki. I have bad eyes too, and I didn’t want to wear those…spectacles.” She rolled her eyes.

“Well you could’ve told me earlier!” I exclaimed.

“And, um, the reason why guys go running to me is…” she said, hesitantly.

I made a gesture with my hand, telling her to go on. She grabbed my wrist and dragged me to the lost and found room. Nobody goes there unless they need spare shirts or shoes. She closed the door behind us and bobbed her head to the direction of where the chairs are. I sat down in one of those kiddie chairs as she sat on one, facing me. Wow. This must be serious. I started getting a little anxious.