8: easy out!

gif banner by the lovely @reminiscence-

Top of the third inning, 0-0. 2 out and Felix is up to bat, Drew  pitching.

"Easy out easy out, move in!!!" I taunt.  Felix glares at me, and kicks the dust off of his feet.

"Try not to trip on the way to first," I say with a smirk. 

"If you don't shut up; I'm going to trip you!" Felix yells once he misses the first pitch and Blaise, being the catcher, calls, "STRIKE ONE!" 

I laugh. My job here is done.

"STRIKE TWO!" Blaise yells.

"Hurry up, before my clothes go out of style!" I shout, my toes placed on the edge of second base, a piece of cardboard,  ready to tag anyone who tries to step on the base I'm guarding. 

"Shut up, Quincy!" He shouts, stepping out of the box to do a practice swing. 

"Hey batter batter batter batter," I mumble to myself,' Saaawing batter," 

"HOMEEEE RUN!" The boy named Blaise yells, looking up as the baseball soars past us.

"We know," I say bitterly, running after the ball. Someone has to get it.

"Eat my dust Quincy," Felix says, jumping onto the makeshift home-plate and making a dust cloud.

"Real mature," I shake my head, inside I'm stomping and screaming. He can't win. I won't allow it. 

The boy named Dexter is up next, so we all get ready. I've heard he's a great hitter; just not under pressure. A little hope for us. We have to get at least one point; I'll never be able to play baseball down here again if we don't.

"STRIKE ONE!"  Blaise yells, throwing the baseball back to Drew.

Dexter groans and backs up, "Come on, Dex," Felix says from the sidelines.

He shoots him a dirty look and hits the dirt off of his sneakers with his bat. 

"STRIKE TWO!" The catcher yells, tossing it back to Drew, "let's go. I've gotta get home for my mom to help me with my math," Blaise says. I laugh, and punch the middle of my mitt.

"STRIKE THREE! You're out, partner," Blaise says, dropping the catcher's mitt.

 I bump fists with an excited Drew as we line up to bat.

"God luck," I pat his back as he goes up first. He turns around and smiles, and Felix throws the ball at his ankle; hitting him hard.

"OW!" Drew shouts, holding his ankle in pain.

"Pay attention and stop ogling at the girl," Felix says dully. I roll my eyes and give Drew a thumbs up as he shakes the pain out of his bruised ankle.

"STRIKE ONE!" The boy named Dexter shouts behind Drew. Drew steps back and takes a deep breath; ready to swing again. 

He hits it with the tip of his bat, going just far enough for Felix to step off of his mound and chase it. Drew hoots and hollers; he's made it to first base. 

Next is Blaise's turn.

"Good luck!" I yell at him. He waves me off and steps up to the plate, a lefty hitter like me. 

Three strikes and you're out; and Blaise is out. 

Next is a boy named Zeke; the one I remember as the one with the pretty eyes. 

Two outs. This game is sucking. 

Next is my turn, no one says anything, no words of encouragement. Thanks