The First Step

I woke up screaming.

"Damn it!" I yelled.

I had no idea what time it was but I felt a little better. My head was still pounding and my breathing was laboured.

What day is it? I know nothing and it's killing me!

So I call in a nurse.

"What can I do for you?" she asks smiling too brightly for it being 7:00 in the morning.

"I was wondering what day it is?"

"It's the 7th."

"Can I go home?"

"Ill ask your doctor." she smiles then leaves.

I close my eyes and try to sleep.

Toby is probably starving and I need to meet Mr.Lufier and the stranger and I need to go to therapy.

Ugh I need to breathe.

Deep breath in through my nose, out through my mouth.

I do that a few times and I feel better.

I hate myself! I hate myself so much! why do I fuck everything up?! my life was going okay. I had an apartment with a dog and a job, not the nicest job but I got money! then I have to ruin everything. What floor am I on?

"Hey there Mrs. Gould. I'm your doctor. You have a concussion so take Advil whenever you have a headache. Don't use a cell phone..."

I stopped listening.

"And we have these pills for your depression and for your blood pressure. Take these pills when you wake up every day. Take them for 3 weeks then come back here and we'll do a report on you. You're free to go."

Finally!

"Thank you so much doctor."

I get up slowly and change into the clothes I had before I passed out. I grab my bag and leave. I take a bus home. I'm glad it's not far. I thank the bus driver and step out onto the sidewalk. I walk slowly up the stairs and open the front doors. Thank god my apartment is on the first floor. I walk to the end of the hall and take my keys out of my purse. I can hear Toby barking. I open the door and his tail is about to wag off his body.

"Hi boy!" I say petting him. I lay my purse on the table and head to the bathroom. I strip off and throw my clothes in the hamper. I turn the water really hot and stay in longer than I normally do.

I decided to clean up and prepare for the strangers arrival. I always kept the second and smaller bedroom empty. It was dusty too so I swept. Then I made room for two in the bathroom. I'm very glad that the bathroom door has a lock, and my bedroom does too.

I do the dishes and tidy up the kitchen and living room. It's ready for him. I hope he likes dogs. I lay on the couch with Toby. I can't use my phone or read so I just pet Toby. Mr. Lufier didn't give me a specific time so I wait.

I'm kinda hungry. I open the fridge and see its pretty empty. Not that I eat much anyways but I need to go grocery shopping. So I take a apple and eat half.

"Hello?"

"Hi it's Alise. The reason I was absent from work is because I was hospitalized. I got a concussion and won't be able to work for another few weeks. I'm really sorry and ill give you the doctors note tomorrow." I say hoping that they won't fire me. This isn't the first time I've been off work for a health reason.

"Okay Alise but anymore of these we might have to fire you. This is strike 1. I hope it won't happen again."

The way therapy is going I'm not so sure. "Yeah it won't." I'm probably lying.

"Okay goodbye Alise."

"Bye." and I hung up.

It's 3:30 and I've got therapy at 4:30. This stranger needs to hurry up.

Toby starts baking and I know he's here. My heart is racing.

He knocks. I open the door.

"Hello Mrs. Gould!" says Mr. Lufier, grabbing me and hugging me.

"Hi Mr. Lufier." I say smiling.

"You know what? Call me Maurice."

"Okay Maurice." I say giggling.

"Okay he's downstairs lets go get him."

"Okay."

I'm scared. What if he's a murderer?

We walk down the long hallway and down the stairs leading outside.

His back is turned but he's tall. Very tall. He has a grey T-shirt and jeans on.

"Hello Canis!" says Maurice.

So the stranger gets a name. Canis.

He turns around and I take a step back not realizing what I've done. I try not to make it noticeable.

"Hello Maurice." He says smiling.

"And this must be Alise."

His eyes are a bright green and his hair is jet black. He is pretty tan and he towers over my mere 5'3. He is quite scrawny though. Almost too skinny.

"Hello." I say extending my hand for him to shake.

He grabs ahold of it and gently shakes it. His hands are soft. I pull away fast.

He looks as uncomfortable as I feel.

"Lets go in then!" says Maurice excitedly.

As if I'm excited.

"Alright." Says Canis.

He grabs a suitcase.

"We'll have to come back for this."

He gestures to a folded up cot and a small dresser. I grab the dresser. It's only light.

"Are you sure?" Canis asks me.

"Yes I'm sure." I say pushing past him. I walk down the long hall then open my door. I put Toby in my room and he's barking and whining. I place the dresser in his room and walk up to my bedroom door. "It will be okay Toby just give us a minute!" I yell to him.

After Canis placed everything in his room- not bothering unpacking - and Mr. Lufier left it was already 4:00. Canis was sitting on my-our couch watching tv.

"Look I want to get to know you and stuff but I've got to go. My dog is in my bedroom so unless you want to be attacked I suggest you don't go in there. Ill be back in a hour and a half."

I say grabbing my jacket and purse.

"Where are you going?" he stands up.

I have to look up to see his face.

"Out."

"Where?"

"Out!" I yell and slam the door behind me. We are not off to a good start. Well did he expect me to be happy? he's a complete stranger!