The First Step

I fell asleep on my couch. I got up and my neck hurt. I briefly looked at myself in the mirror. I hate looking in the mirror. I stripped down and went in the shower. I scrubbed my self because I felt dirty, disgusted with myself. I got out, dried off and put my housecoat on. I went into the kitchen and got breakfast while Toby, my 64 pound German shepherd was whining for food. I ate cereal while Toby ate his food.

Toby stopped eating and went to the door and started barking. He does that when someone's coming to my door. I got up and looked out the peep hole while my landlord knocked. I grabbed a hold of Toby's collar and opened the door.

"Hey Mr.Lufier." I said smiling

"Hello Alise." he said smiling back. I liked Mr.Lufier. He was a sweet and round old man.

"Can I help you?" I asked politely

"Yes my dear we have a bit of a situation." he looked nervous

"What is it?" I asked confused

I pray it wasn't about rent. I was behind two months.

"I have a cousin who's son got kicked out of university, and he has no place to live."

"Yeah?" I was so confused.

"Well since you're only one person, And the rest of the apartments are full. You have a two bedroom, but only one body. So he needs to stay here. I know that it's weird and tough but my dear he will pay half of rent and you're two months late."

"Mr.Lufier, You're a nice person but don't you think having a stranger live with me is a little weird and dangerous? Didn't you say he got kicked out of university? For what!?" I was freaking out.

"All he did was pull a prank on the dean, it wasn't even a big deal!"

"Well it must've been big if they kicked him out!"

"Mrs.Gould, I know this is sudden but you really don't have a choice!"

"Can I think about it?"

"He will be here ready to move in, in two days."

"What?!"

"I'm sorry Mrs.Gould but this is something- someone rather- you'll have to live with."

Another thing to add to the list of things I'm living with.

"Okay. I'm not pleased but this is the cheapest and nicest apartment closest to my work. What's he like?"

"He's very handsome! Very smart and nice!"

"Alright, I'll see you in two days time?"

"Yes Mrs.Gould I'm looking forward to it!"

"Goodbye!"

"Goodbye."

I shut the door, leaned against it and slid down onto my butt. Toby snuggled into my neck.

"What are we gonna do buddy?"

I wish he could answer me. Why does this have to happen to me. I have to live with a stranger! I was worrying too much so Toby and I continued eating. I felt like my whole world was about to change.