Chapter 12.

Lachlan was a lot of things; confident, witty, determined and a self proclaimed ladies man with a vocabulary swilling with innuendos. One thing Lachlan rarely shown was his ability to be kind and selfless - it did not particularly mix well with the upkeep of his aspiring bad boy persona. Yet there he was, buried in waiting the tables that should have been mine, his leather jacket discarded in the back area and an apron fastened around his waist.

The customers were unrelenting and the previously quiet morning had quickly morphed into a sea of people clambering over one another to get to the bar. We had agreed to share the work load of my shift but as I approached each new table, Lachlan jumped in first to take over any orders, ushering me away to wipe down an empty table or complete other trivial tasks so he could complete the bulk of the work.

I could see his skin was glistening with sweat as he continued to whirl around The Pegasus, laughing and joking with customers as he catered to their needs, his emerald eyes bright and friendly as he reassured each table, 'Give me a shout if you need anything.' Even Malcolm and Niall were finding it difficult to find something to do and when they did, Lachlan had already almost finished the job.

In truth, it was as if I had entered topsy turvy land and Lachlan was the mayor. This side of him was always hidden so well and I could feel my lips drawing up into a smile as he eagerly retrieved one of the high chairs for a budding family and helped the young couple settle their toddler into the unfamiliar seat with cooing words and his dashing grin.

The little girl stared up at Lachlan with starry eyes, her missing front tooth visible as she beamed with delight and he pointed to his own teeth while he indulged her story about the tooth fairy with enthusiasm. I was in the middle of drying and polishing a pint glass when Phil clicked his tongue beside me.

"He's a natural. Real people person isn't he?" he said with a warm and hearty laugh, "Don't let him take over any more shifts or you could find yourself out of a job!"

"I don't plan on it," I said, still smiling, "He was only supposed to help me today, not take over."

"It has done you some good taking a break, Louise." Phil looked at me, one of his large hands resting on my shoulder for a moment. "You've got some colour back in your face already. Try not to push yourself too hard again."

As the busy period dwindled, my shift (or, Lachlan's shift, it seemed) was nearing its end, with only a couple of minutes remaining as I finished washing the newest batch of dirty glasses. Lachlan entered the kitchen, removing his apron and throwing it on the nearby counter as he walked over. His black curls were unruly and wild as he ran his fingers through the side of his hair then slipped his arms through his leather jacket.

"You are quite the trooper," I said, "You'll have to be careful, Phil is eager to hire you now."

He shrugged and grinned. "Anything to help. Plus, if I work here permanently it could be a great pick up spot for me. Quick question, would I be able to give out free drinks?"

"There is the Lachlan I know. Always in it for the ladies!"

"Just the one lady, actually."

His expression had softened and he smiled before clearing his throat. I moved my hands away from the sink and rubbed my hands dry on a towel as Lachlan leaned against the wall.

"Will you tell me what happened with him?" he asked.

"He..."

Without warning Phil burst into the kitchen through the swing doors with a sharp bang and a wide smile. "Lachlan!" he boomed, "You were a big help today, lad."

"No problem, Phil. I don't mind," Lachlan said.

"Well if you want a position, let me know." Phil patted him on the back as he swooped past.