Chapter 10.

Initially, my pure instinct was to fling myself at the horrible old crust of a woman and claw her beady little eyes out. This was however, outweighed by my pathetic inferiority complex this she-devil instilled within me - as well as the fact there were men present who somehow made Zach look tiny, in physique and stature. Karen and her stone cold glare seemed to shrink me into my sixteen year old self, the teenager who was afraid of the consequences of being together with her prodigious son. 

              "Well, is anyone going to offer me a drink?" she chortled, as if this meet-and-greet was a normality we were not acknowledging. Her cold exterior seemed to melt in a moment and the twinkling grey of her eyes mimicked friendliness. "No? Well I didn't mean to be presumptuous but I went ahead and brought my own anyway. I hope you're a fan of shiraz."

She lifted two wine glasses into the air and they clinked together, the shrill sound cutting through the air.

"What are you doing here?" I asked shortly and I was inflated with silent pride at how assertive my tone had came across. You aren't sixteen anymore. 

"I just came here to witness the reunion." she smiled with her teeth, every single one perfectly straight in its place and glowing white. 

"We don't want you here." Zach clarified with gritted teeth. "I did as you said, I went to America to settle business there. There's nothing more I need to do for you."

She clicked her tongue before readjusting the cuff of her suit. "My sweet boy, we both know that business in New York is far from settled."

"I said it is settled. The Burbanks have signed the contract. We own sixty percent of the company." He snarled. "Now get out, before I throw you and your men out."

Every word that came out of his mouth seemed to cause the old crone to smile wider, her steel eyes casting a bemused expression oozing with reserved self confidence. 

"The Burbanks only agreed to the aforementioned deal because of a particular clause in our contract. Can you remember that detail, Zachary? Or has the consistent flow of whiskey clouded your memory?" She hummed, sighing as she set the wine glasses down. "Perhaps I should have brought something non-alcoholic."

I watched as his jaw clenched tightly. "We can talk in private."

Karen's eyes glinted brightly, taunting him. "But I imagine Louise would very much like to know about what exactly you've been up to in the four years you have both spent apart, hm?" 

Awash with questions I had no answers to, my eyes darted to Zach. I could see he was in inner turmoil. What wasn't he telling me? What had happened?  His dark gaze was fixated on his mother, a desperate plea she had no intention of considering.

               "Well, have you told her? Filled her in on all those juicy little details? I am not risking this partnership for your whore."

"Shut your bitter old mouth." he snapped. "I saved that company from bankruptcy."

"They have repaid us and more since then. Busy little bees, those Burbanks." Karen elaborated, "We had the higher ground four years ago Zachary, but not now. I need that partnership to keep us afloat. I was too big for my boots. If you break that clause in the contract then we'll have to sign over everything we have. Everything you have. Do you understand? Everything you worked for. Ebony Records will be handed over just like that." 

"I told you from the beginning I would never agree. You agreed to this without my consent the whole way." he continued, his low voiresonating with hatred. "I hold no responsibility over this. If you want to take my company from me, do it. I won't give up Lou again for you and your empty threats."