Chapter 7.

“Now - slowly put your foot down.”

The back of my seat juddered briefly against my spine as I caused my third stall. I just couldn’t get the hang of using the clutch. Zach sighed, an agitated look twitching the features of his face. He had been patient with me, but I think he was beginning to reach the end of his fuse with me. I released my hands from the wheel and folded my arms in defeat. Thankfully, I had stalled against the curb, but although I was not in the middle of the road, it was another solid blow to my confidence.

“I give up.”

“I never took you for a quitter.” He mused.

Unclipping my seatbelt, I pushed air through my nose with a small huff and threw a glance his way. He was clothed in some designer jeans and a fitted grey t-shirt, the sleeves of the material stretching tightly over his biceps and across his chest perfectly as if had been specifically moulded for him - it was hard to concentrate with a man such as him sat beside me. The neutral car smell had slowly faded away, almost completely replaced by the heady aftershave that was being softly emitted from its source in the passenger seat. His presence was making my mind swirl with inappropriate thoughts and it impossible to even think about driving, never mind practice it.

“I’m not quitting.” I protested. “I need a break.”

“A break? We’ve only drove a few streets away from your flat.” He laughed. “And I thought you wanted to pull up at The Pegasus to show off your new car?”

“Well, now I withdraw that idea. What if Lachlan is hanging out there?”

Zach instantly tensed and pushed out his chest as if he was Hercules. “So what if he is? If he tries to talk to you I’ll-“

“Act like a possessive caveman and embarrass me again?” I jibed, but the gritty memory of my mother walking in us the day before made my insides churn and we both grimaced.

“I am not a caveman.” He defended. “I shaved yesterday.”

“You already have stubble.” I remarked, pointing at the tiny bristles of hair already beginning to sprout across his jaw.

“I can’t help it if I have huge amounts of manly testosterone.” He quirked an eyebrow devilishly, a twinkle in the light brown flecks of his dark irises.

“You’re so full of yourse-“

Zach leaned over the gear stick to reach me, his mouth hitting mine before the rest of my sentence could be said. I hummed into his lips as he held a fistful of my hair through his fingers softly.

Hand on my thighs, he began to outline shapes on the fabric of my shorts before moving to touch the skin of my leg with agonisingly slow strokes. It was sweet torture as his tongue dipped into my mouth and flicked across my own before delving deeper. I was in another world. The rough texture of his stubble and the smoothness of his lips were a tantalizing combination and I could not get enough. I hooked my finger into his waistband and he let out a groan, but before he could close his hand over my wrist to halt my exploration, I had already removed my hand.

He touched his forehead with mine as he regained his breath and I smiled mischievously. His deep brown eyes stared back into mine with carnal desire.

            “I am going to drive us back to your flat, and we are going to finish what you just started, Lou.” He asserted, his voice heavy with lust and I could feel the quakes of anticipation shiver through my veins.

*          *          *