VIII

It's hard to believe that it's almost been a year since Peter and Bucky met. Since then they had actually gotten relatively close. They've got a pretty good mentor-mentee relationship going on, even if they're both really emotionally constipated.

Bucky had to work on the "anniversary" of their first meeting, so he had wanted to celebrate before. They went down to that little diner that Bucky liked, since Peter didn't really care where they went. Peter was way more excited about the present he made Bucky, he'd been working on it in the lab at the factory for a pretty long time. And honestly, it was killing his back trying to lug the thing around in a duffle bag.

Peter pushed open the door. The same, not so appetizing scent of waterlogged drywall hitting his nose as he stepped inside the red four walls that were covered with black and white checkers. He went to their usual seat where Bucky was, as per usual. He happily set the bag down in the seat next to him.

"Hey kid, how you holding up?" Bucky asked, looking up from his menu like he was going to get something other than his usual order.

"I'm good, you?"

"Same, and how many times I gotta tell you boy? Being "perfectly on time" is not showing up on the dot." Bucky chastised.

"Yeah, yeah, I know Buck. Be early, be early, be early! I'm never early, I'm always on time, there's nothing I can do to stop it."

"If you're on time you're late."

"The some might call it being fashionably late."

"I think you gotta have a fashion sense before you can be fashionably anything, kid."

"I can't believe you! And to think I spent the past week making you the best gift you'll ever receive ever." Peter said, faining hurt.

"Oh yeah, and what's that?" Bucky raised an eyebrow, taking some actual interest.

"If I've kept it secret for the past week, why would I spoil it now?" Peter rolled his eyes and moved the duffle bag into his father figures hands. "Ned, temporarily highjack cameras please." Peter whispered.

"Already done."

"You're a lifesaver. Open it!" Peter enthused.

He was rarely this excited for anything, he sent a prayer that this was not Tony Stark's head and a random assortment of his body parts while a newly installed TV gently played the news. He unzipped it. A golden snout popped out of the heavy duffle, and then two floppy ears, four legs, and a tail. Peter had this anxious look on his face, his socially inept personality desperately trying to search for an inch of emotion on him. He must be making the face again.

"Peter, you know we can't take care of a dog." He said with dejected tone.

Yet, his face lit up. "Good thing it's not a dog." He whispered excitedly.

"What is this?" Bucky asked.

"It's Houdini but on a much bigger scale! She is programmed to defend just like Houdini is but it also has the entirety of the service dog training right inside it. The main mission is protection and defense but the secondary is making sure you're okay. When we get home I'll show you how to turn it on."

"That's... thank you, kid." Bucky said, a bit choked up.

"It's no problem. I wanted to do a little better than a "#1 dad" mug or a tie or something."

"You know you didn't have to get something right?"

"I know. It's why I didn't get you anything for easter."

"You said you forgot!" Bucky put a hand over his heart, it was his turn to feign hurt. The dog who lacked a name leaned over to make sure he was fine and not having a heart attack.