Chapter 9:

It was Saturday and Saturdays we're busy. People liked to walk downtown on Saturday, which meant good business for newsies, but everyone was still on edge due to the Brooklyn attack. Everyone gathered around the stacks of papers. Jack walked up to the guys. "Bout time ya showed up." Racetrack said throwing his newspaper pouch at Jack.
"Hey! Calm down, don't get ya trousers in a bunch." Jack said catching the pouch.
"How'd the meeting go?" Davey asked.
Jack sighed. "Those lumberjacks are a stubborn bunch. Won't agree on anything."
"So the strike won't end any time soon?" Les asked worried.
Jack shook his head.
"Well what's we supposed ta do in da mean time?" Jojo asked.
"Do what's we's done from da start. Look out for each other." Jack answered.
Most of the newsies groaned before walking away to get their papers.
Y/N saw Davey walk over to Jack. Y/N sighed, Jack had let them all down even Y/N.
"Ya coming?" Crutchie asked snapping Y/N back to reality.
"Yeah wait a sec!" Y/N yelled grabbing her newspapers.
Y/N and Crutchie decided to sell their papers close to the other guys. It was quite the sight to see, a bunch of newsies trying to sell papers in the same area, yelling over each other.
"Zero sight of da strike letting up, ya heard it here!"
"Tree falls causing strike ta continue!"
"Extra, extra the scary lumberjack strike! Ya heard it here!"
Those were just a few of the phrases spoken to catch the attention of people passing by.
"Hey miss!" Someone yelled to Y/N.
Y/N turned her head to see a man standing there. "Ya free tonight?" He asked.
"No." Y/N responded turning away.
"You sure?" He asked again, but subtly putting his hand on her side.
"Da hell do you think ya doing?" Crutchie yelled grabbing the man's hand with furry.
Crutchie grabbed the guy's wrist. "Buzz off, she not jus a idem ya can look at!" Crutchie spat with his face red.
The man walked away. Y/N blankly stared at Crutchie, no one had ever done something like that for her. "Youse ok?" Crutchie asked still quite red.
"A, yeah I'm fine." Y/N responded hesitantly.
Y/N looked at Crutchie as he got back to work. He's got a nice jawline, and pretty hair, I always liked blondes. Y/N thought.
Then Y/N snapped back to reality. What da hell is wrong with me?
Y/N felt her cheeks turn slightly pink. Y/N felt her heart flutter a little. What is this feeling, so sudden and new. My face is flushing, my head is reeling! What is this! Y/N practically screamed at herself.
"Aww, what's wrong Y/N, embarrassed in front of ya boyfriend?" Racetrack asked pocking her shoulder.
Y/N looked at Racetrack, she could feel her cheeks were super warm, she must have been bright red at this point. "Race I's swear on my dead mutha's grave!" Y/N yelled.
"Then do it." Racetrack teased.
"Get over here ya asshole!" Y/N shouted running after Racetrack.
                        _____________
"What happened?" Katherine asked handing Racetrack a ice pack.
"She soaked me in da eye."
"Only because youse was making fun of me."
Y/N defended with crossed arms.
"The lot of you can act like such children sometimes." Katherine sighed.
"Then why'd ya date Jack?" Y/N asked smiling.
Katherine laughed. "Sometimes I ask myself the same thing."
Racetrack groaned. "Look just try to stay out of trouble ok? Both of you." Katherine said before walking away.
"So ya like him?" Racetrack asked.
"Ya want another black eye?" Y/N asked irked.
"I'm not try'n ta make fun of ya this time! It's jus a honest question." Racetrack defended.
Y/N sighed. "I don't know." She answered.
"What do ya mean I don't know?" Racetrack asked.
"I's means I don't know. What's it concern you?" Y/N said.
"Well it's jus ya face went bright red after Crutchie "saved" ya earlier today." Racetrack explained using quotations with his fingers around saved.
"Maybe I's was jus flustered over da situation." Y/N defended.
"Eh, no need ta get defensive. If ya don't want to answer dats fine, I's won't make ya." Racetrack backed off.
Y/N twiddled her thumbs. "Ok so maybe I's do." Y/N admitted.
Racetrack looked at Y/N brightly smiling. "Shut up." Y/N said pushing Racetrack's face away with her hand.
"It's only a little, so don't start think'n." She added.
"But youse still like him." Racetrack cooed.
Y/N rolled her eyes and stood up. Walking  away, but not before her ears caught wind of something. Kissing noises.
Y/N turned back to see Racetrack mimicking a make out section. "Race ya immature brat!" She shouted throwing her shoe at Racetrack hitting him square in the forehead.
Y/N stormed out of the room, passing Katherine. "You ok?" She asked.
"I's think Rase is gonna need another ice pack." Y/N said counting to walk to her room.
Y/N flopped on her cot. It's not like that! It's not like that! She screamed at herself.
I only like him a little! Like a little more than a friend.
Y/N sat in silence for a little. Or do I? She asked herself.
No, no, no! Don't get second thoughts!
Y/N felt tears welding up, but quickly wiped them away.
I just need to go to sleep. Y/N told herself pulling her blanket over her, falling asleep.
A/N so I just wanted to get out this chapter so you can read something before I take a break to study for exams. But I'll be back before you know it.
Thanks for reading
The Author