Chapter 1

2 months.

That's how long it's been since the accident, and I'm just barely starting to get used to the fact that my family is gone. But I can't mourn in peace. Because once again, the universe has decided to send a big old f**k you my way.

"No."

I can't. I won't.

"Everly, please." my Aunt Emerson begs, "You knew this was going to happen. We can't stay here forever. We need to move to my house in Minnesota."

"This is my home. I'm not leaving."

"It's not your home anymore, sweetie. I miss them just as much as you do, but we need to move on."

" I don't want to move on."

"You need to. It isn't healthy to stay here." I can see her eyes starting to water and, because I don't want to deal with her emotions, I give up.

"When do we leave?"

"Two weeks from today."

"Okay."

She nods and leaves me to pack.

Packing goes by in a blur. I shove everything into random boxes, not caring if anything breaks. I can't look at any of it without thinking of them. Remembering things that I don't want to remember. But I see a tattered old dictionary and I'm instantly brought back to the day I got it.

****

"What are you looking at kiddo?" my dad asked.

"The dictionary. I'm going to learn all the words in the world."

"Are you now?" he said with raised eyebrows.

"Yes."

"I don't know all the words in the world. If you want we can learn together."

"Only if I get ice cream after every new word I learn." I bargained.

"Okay, but when all your teeth fall out, I'm not getting you dentures." he winked.

"So we have a deal?"

"We have a deal."

****

I shake my head trying to get rid of the memory. I place the book in the box and then close it and tape the lid shut.

Deciding that is enough for tonight, I quickly change into my pajamas and swallow the sleeping pills that I had to start taking after the accident.

I sit down and try to push all the thoughts out of my mind so that I can finally sleep and forget about the mess of my life for a few short hours.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I hope you enjoyed the first chapter! let me know what you think!

Xoxo <3