Chapter 4

I used to wish for silence. I would pray that for just one day, every one would be quiet. Growing up Tommy was the noisiest person I knew. Always talking or singing or banging around the house. He hummed too. It drove me crazy. There was not one second of silence. After school him and his loud friends would run inside like a stamped. They practiced for their band in the basement. despite them being underground with all the doors closed, their teenage angst music pushed through, clear for all to hear.

Even after Tommy enlisted, silence was a rarity. Mom hated it. Said it only reminded her that her baby boy wasn't home. So the TV was always left on. Now though. The silence is everywhere. It wraps you in a vice grip. Leaving you with nothing but the sound of your own thoughts.

Homework has become something I look forward to. It fills my mind with equations and formulas, leaving no room for anything else. But homework gets done all too quickly. Sending me back to laying in bed thinking of all I've lost.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next few days are spent trying to fall in the background. But Melody hasn't taken the hint. Today I couldn't get away so now I'm currently sitting with her at a little table outside for lunch. She's says shes fascinated by me and wants too know all about my life in 'the big city'. I would like nothing more then to tell her to go away.

But shes actually really nice. Someone I would have adored back home. Before it happened. Shes so beautiful, Almost doll like with her soft features and perfect complexion. And her style is so unique. Super spunky but really cute. she wears soft pastel blouses and skirts with black combat boots that have little silver studs. Its Darth Vader meets Flower Fairy. The most unlikely combination, Yet somehow it just fits.

"And what about the boys? Did they all look like models? " her questions break my though train.

"Huh? Oh um actually-" Her Doe eyes turn to saucers.

"Wait omg, are they actually models?!" Before I can even think of a response to this she barrels on "That would be so cool!" Melody sequels. "There's this one boy, Jeremy, and he could totally be one hes so dreamy."

Suddenly the tall boy from the woods pops into my mind.

"Hey Melody, if I asked you if somebody went her would you know?" she nods.

"Definitely. Like I said, Its a really small town. Do you know someone who lives here?"

"Well no, I just met someone the other day and haven't seem them around since."

" Well whats their name?"

"Will. His names Will."

"Could you be more specific? Whats his last name? Or whats he looks like?

"hes tall. Really tall. I don't know his last name but he has blondish hair and deep green eyes." for some reason I feel a blush come over my face as I watch her think.

"Kind of serious looking? Brooding almost?"

"Yeah"

"I remember him. He was a year a head of us, Graduated last year. He didn't talk much, was pretty quiet. Had some friends but was always kind of a loner. How'd you meet him? He doesn't seem like some one to be on the town welcoming committee"

Embarrassed I looked to the sky admiring the clear sky " I ran into him in the forest. I was lost he helped me find my way, that's all."

she nodded accepting this, thankfully not asking the questions she obviously wanted to. I liked that. maybe it wouldn't be so bad to have lunch with her again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When I emerge from my room food is everywhere. Not a surface in sight isn't covered by muffins, casseroles and pies. Aunt Emmy's puling what looks like lasagna out of the oven when she sees me.

"Oh! Everly, you scared me." she huffs with a small smile.

"Um whats with the food? Are you okay?" I ask tentatively as she looks on the verge of a nervous break down.

"Just trying out some new recipes!"

''do you need any help?" I really don't want to bake but i cant keep having staring contests with my wall.

"No no! Go out. Explore! Have fun, be a teenager. "

"Are you sure?"

"Yes! There's trail maps in all the shops. You can go for a hike, just be careful." I've never been one for hikes and after yesterdays embarrassing encounter with mystery boy I really wasn't too keen on the idea. But I could have a look round the shops. So I told her I would and she tossed me the car keys, gave me a twenty for snacks and I was out the door.

xxxxxxx