Chapter 1

Hi, I’m Marissa Parker and this is my story. The story of how I learn to be myself. I don’t hide behind my nerdy glasses and I show everyone who I really am. The curtain falls at the end of the role I have been playing for what seems like forever. My parents soon realize my angle wings are only the cover of my devil horns. I am going all out and becoming what I have been hiding for so long. Whether it’s the Queen She-bitch pushing me over the line or the guy who reads between the lines, I am changing. I want to be the crazy teen that falls in love and I am on the fast track when I switch gears. It’s a rather long story but in the end it’s worth it. Nobody can hate on a story that involves every type of group within the normal high school. So here is how it goes…

FIRST DAY OF HIGHSCHOOL

Wow. It’s already the first day of school. Some people are all excited to see their friends and start their high school careers of slutts and man whores but, not me. I guess you can say I’m not your typical girl. I don’t make the ‘duck face’ or flash my boobs to the first hottie to walk by. I don’t text in the shower and I absolutely don’t spend my free time deciding how many grams to smoke. I actually study and work hard but, that doesn’t mean I like school. I guess you could say I am mature but that would be a lie too. I am not exactly hyper but I do have a lot of energy, mainly because of sweets. I don’t exercise much but that’s because I gave up cheerleading for chess. I guess that makes me a nerd but it’s not my fault. Blame my parents. They wanted a good little angel to brag to their friends about and it just happened to be me. No one knows what I’m really like. It’s like I’m in a play and the role lasts forever. I hide my wild fantasies and hang out with the most likely to succeed crowd. Maybe that will make my strict parents happy                                                                                                                  As the try-hards pass by in their usual swarm of desperate attempts; I walk through the metal doors into the expectantly bland and boring typical high school. By typical, I mean straight out of the movies, boring as fuck, moody and emotional, crappy high school. We all know what those are like. They have the drugs and the drinks and a rather large population of prego whores. I guess birth control was out of the question for the slutty girls who have had more guys than there is in this entire school. They have the most awful rep and maintain it just to keep the nerds dreaming. I could probably get any guy in this school but why would I want to? I am on the fast track to being something worth bragging about. My brother can exit the stage while the spot light shines on me for a change. After all, isn’t that what I want?             In the middle of all of this is a blue table with two teachers that appear to take their job way too seriously. You know like the ones who dress up in way to expensive clothing that they can hardly afford. They are always the ones who come to every staff meeting and always follow the guidelines out of the book. They are always the ones who bust the pot smokers in the bathroom and break up the bullying in the gym. They ruin everything. At this ancient table they sit and expect a room full of teenagers to know where they are going on the first day of school. Little do they know that nobody cares about what class they have or where it’s at. They just want to enjoy being the party hard people that parents warn their kids about. Parents like mine. It’s all a jumble of disapproving looks and awkward glances that lead me to check my own plan of school.                                                                  I pull my schedule out of my bag and walk to the steps to sit with my group, the nerds. With parents as strict as mine it is nearly impossible to expect yourself anywhere near people who actually qualify as similar to you. Sad thing is, is that I’m only acting like a math geek. They live it though. The curtain is always closed and they are always the way they seem. No surprises. I could be a tattooed, pot-smoking, pierced, slutty, whore but my parents are obsessed with me being perfect. It sucks. The nerds aren’t so bad though. They remind me of tests and study with me afterschool. They remember things that normal people would forget easily and they really are genuine about their feelings. My two best friends are Lacy and Tyler. They are definitely your typical nerds. They dress in sweater vests and never show any skin. They have thick frame glasses which do not look hipsterish on them because they fit the profile of a nerd too well. They always carry around thick science and math books and I swear they always carry tissues whether they are sick or not. I guess that makes them freaks but I still love them to death because even though this is an act, they don’t know it. They see me as one of them and treat me as a real person instead of another want-to-be stripper.

“Hey, Marissa”, said Lacy as I sat on the stairs. She then pulled her glasses off her nose and began cleaning them with a tissue. Tyler looked up from his math book and smiled in my direction.

“Hey. You guys ready for school?” I replied as I adjusted my skirt. It was not as long as Lacy but it was still well below my knees. Most of the whores wore up your ass skirts. We all had a uniform but most teachers could care less about the length. I would wear shorter ones but I don’t want to show off my ass to the whole school. That would ruin the image my parents have picked out for me. Our uniform also consist of the girls wearing white blouses too but flaunting my c’s isn’t gonna get me as far as studying. I guess I have a good body but I don’t really show it. I have nice curves when I wear bathing suits but most of the time I wear over-sized sweatshirts and long skirts to school. I never really wear make-up either. I have a pair of fake glasses that seem more hipsterish than nerdy. I have had these glasses for what seems like forever. I have been playing this role so long that they are like a part of me.                                                                          The bell rings before I can barely speak two words to my friends. I guess I’m on my own until lunch. I walk down the frantic and crowded halls to my less than clean locker. It has writing all over the inside so I can thank Billy from 2010 for giving me the number to someone who apparently has ‘sparkies’, whatever that is. I place in my bag and take a note to appreciate the fact that it’s a top locker and not the floor dust covered bottom locker. The hallway smells like anxiety and sweat, which I guess is typical first day scents. It all eventually turns to a mid-semester axe smell and in the end smells like sunscreen. I have known that smell for too long. People run by me to their homeroom class and I am eventually left with only the few stray people who are in the ‘scene/emo/goth’ group. That group has always seemed so much more fun compared to my group of over thinking, intellectual, creepers. The bell rings and thus begins the boring cycle of the typical high school known as Amber Grey High. Yes, everything is typical here. And if it weren’t, I’d tell ya.