Chapter 4

"I'm home!" I call. I hear the sound of paws padding on the floor and see the two puffballs that are May and June come up to me. They jump up and set their paws on my calf. I pet their heads and throw my backpack on the ground.

"Hello Skye." my mother comes into the front hall. "please come with me" she leads me into the living room. She sits down on the couch and I go to sit beside her. May and June hop up onto the couch as well. June settles into my lap while May curls up beside me and rests her chin on my leg.

"You have been taking care of those dogs really well." she says, but her tone of voice is all buisness, not kindness and there is no hint of a smile on her lips.

"Somthing is wrong Skye. When I call you, you don't respond. I have heard you talking while you are all alone. Your teachers have noticed it too. You have been laughing while walking down the hallway even if nobody said anything to you. You turn and look beside you as if you are talking to a friend but nobody is there. You have been seen by peers responding to questions that have not been asked. Is the medicine working?" my mother is staring intently into my eyes. I look down at my lap. I can't look her in the eyes and lie. My two puppies are looking at me, their eyes are concerned and June lets out a small wimper.

"Of course it's working" I say. I start to get up, but am frozen by my mother's next words.

"no its not. You can still see Echo" the silence is defening. I can't look at her. No body says anything. My dogs are like stuffed animals, they don't do anything and I feel as frozen as a statue. How in the world does she know this? I feel a year start to glide down my cheek. She is going to take Skye away. Forever.

"i have made an appointment with the doctor. You're going to see him on Saturday.' mom breaks the silence.

"is there anything else you have to say." she asks, but I am not paying aattention. Echo has appered beside me and she is talking to me.

"Skye, don't make me leave! You can't let them do this! I don't want to go away!" she is begging. There are tears streaming down her face.

"I won't do it. You will not leave." I answer Echo.

"EXCUSE ME! What did you say?" my mother exclaims. Oops, forgot she was there.

"Umm, I didn't mean that."

"Oh, you were talking to Echo, I see." my mother stands up and walks away, her high heels snapping on the hardwood floors. It's all over. After that little mistake mom must know that it's true. I won't see any of my friends again. My mother is relentless.