Chapter 12

"Hey Sea!" I say as she walks through the door into my room.

"Skye. Mom and Dad have decided... We are going to adopt you!" Sea says grinning at me expectantly. I am utterly speechless. I will have a family. A home. Tears fill my eyes. All of a sudden they are streaming down my face.

"Come here Skye" says Sea gently, pulling me onto the bed in an embrace.

"Thank you so much Sea. You don't know how much your family has done for me, is doing for me."

"No Skye, it's not my family. It's our family." she says. I hug her again and sit up straighter.

"When am I leaving? "

"You'll be coming home with us in two weeks" Sea replies, rubbing my smudged mascara off my cheeks.

"Okay" I sniffle.

"I have to go now Skye. I love you. " Sea says, standing up.

"Love ya too" I reply.

I have no idea what just happened. 'I am getting adopted, I have a family.' I keep repeating to myself , but the words don't seem to sink in. Only when I have my few things collected in my backpack, and May and June's things shoved in the back of the crates does it feels real.

That is how I live for the next two weeks. The gray walls of my cupboard sized room bare. Sad looks from Tico and Richa every time we talk. May and June sleeping on my bare mattress. It's the middle of summer, and in an un-air-conditioned building, I barely notice the lack of blankets.

When I move in with the Littilse's I will attend the same school as Sea. I should be going into grade 12, but I am so behind that I will be taking private classes with a tutor until I'm caught up. Years have past. I barely remember what my mother and David look like. Good. They never were my family.

The day of departure comes. I gather up my backpack. Julian takes the dogs.

"Bye Skye. Good luck with your new life." Richa gives a small, sad smile.

"Bye Richa. I will really miss you. Maybe our paths will cross again." I say and hug Richa. I feel tears start to fill my eyelids. 'Stay strong Skye' I tell myself.

"Skye..." Teresa starts.

"Shh " I rest my finger on her mouth. "Don't speak Tico. Just know that I love you. You will find a home. Stay strong Teresa." I give her a big hug and the tears finally spill out. I feel Tico's small frame shake ever so slightly with the force of her tears.

"I will miss you guys." I look Richa and Teresa right in the eyes. We squish together for a group hug.

"We need to go Skye. Unless you don't want to get home for supper" says Julian softly.

"Okay Julian" I sigh, turning away from my friends.

"Please," he replies, "call me dad"

I sniffle. A true dad. I have never had one. I clasp my arms around his waist.

"Thank you so much," I sob, "Dad"