15

Alfred was silent for the entire ride. Not that it made much of a difference in the rowdy bunch he had sitting the car. There was a mix of complaining and whining and just regular chatter about nonsensical and irrelevant things. He glanced to the passenger seat from time to time hoping that he would see Toris there for some sense of comfort. No matter what, he saw nothing there but an empty seat.

He could see the city just up ahead. He honestly wished that teleportation was scientifically possible so he didn't have to deal with taking everyone to the airport. Staying at home in bed is the ideal. He knew full well that he would have to get straight back to work after today. Might as well take advantage of a day off. Shame he couldn't quite do so yet.

The red light stared back at him while the sound of his turn signal rhythmically clicked almost like the beat to the incredibly off-beat sea of cars rushing by. The chatter behind him became muffled from the focus he had on other sounds. Mediation was something he was often recommended, it was like the hot new trend. Mindfulness is what it taught. What that means, he will never truly understand. It's supposed to help you calm down. If he was honest, he felt like he was underwater. His breath seemed to cut short. The noises becoming more muffled. His vision became unfocused and blurred.

A car beeped behind him. He noticed the light flick from red to green. A hesitant second and his foot was on the gas. He made the turn feeling breathless and uneasy.

He glanced at the empty seat next to him. Damnit.

~

"Can I speak to you for a moment?" Ludwig asked while Alfred slowly but surely grabbed the others' luggage from the trunk.

"Sure," Alfred put a suitcase on the sidewalk. "What do you need?"

"I believe I've figured out your message."

"Oh, really? What is it then?" Alfred gave a skeptical look at the man in front of him. Ludwig looked around cautiously before leaning in and whispering his answer. When he leaned back, Alfred couldn't help the shock on his face.

"I know we don't know each other very well or really have much in common but I hope you know that I agree with your message."

"Sometimes I forget that you're insanely smart."

"Ditto." With that, Ludwig grabbed his bag and walked off. Alfred simply continued with the other bags.

He handed Ivan his bag. Ivan stood over him with the same smile he always had on.

"You know, I'm surprised I caused the least trouble during this trip."

"Honestly, me too, but I'm thankful for it. I might've killed you if you did cause anything."

"That would've made it so fun though."

"More like messy."

"Perhaps you're right. Either way it was still fun even if it was such rollarcoaster so I thank you for that." With that Ivan walked off. Kiku was last to get his bag. Alfred closed the trunk and turned around to only be startled by the quiet man.

"Oh, I'm sorry if I scared you." Kiku frowned; apologetic.

"You're good." Alfred chuckled awkwardly. "I'm a little distracted, that's all."

"Well, I just wanted to thank you for this whole trip." Kiku bowed. "I wish you the best of luck."

~

Alfred opened the door to the apartment and found it to be the same as ever. Small and mediocre. The door clicked shut after he stepped in. He sat on the couch and set his keys down on the coffee table. A big sigh and he finally let his body relax.

Suddenly, his phone buzzed in his pocket. He quickly squirmed to pull it out. All he found was a text from Francis. You did your best. With a sigh, he tossed the phone onto the cushion next to himself.

The silence of the apartment echoed the emptiness of the place. It wasn't quite uncomfortable but it felt off. Then again, this could be due to actually having a break. He wasn't used to this. He looked at his phone. The turned off screen shined with the sunlight from the nearby window. He sighed and rubbed his eyes, looking away from the device. He sat forward, his arms keeping him up on his knees. He ran a hand through his hair. He glanced back at his phone.

He sat up and grabbed the phone. Quickly, he unlocked it and dialed the only number on his mind. He brought the phone to his ear.

The dial tone rang clear and he waited.

The End.