10

The slam of a door sounded throughout the house. Loud footsteps followed, growing quieter. Alfred and Toris, of course, noticed the sound. The two sat up in surprise at the sound. They gave each other a quick glance. Toris ultimately sighed.

"I'm hoping it's not terrible."

"Knowing them, it probably is." Alfred stood first. "I'll go check it out, you back to the room. You look exhausted so get some sleep."

"Alright." Toris nodded. With that Alfred was on his way down to the second sleep. Nothing was broken or cracked or smashed so there was already a sign of good luck.

Considering there was no other slamming of any doors, the suspect must have gone downstairs. He made the lightest jog down the hall and made his way down the stairs. In the living room, he found a single person, bitterly mumbling.

To his surprise, it was Feliciano. 

"You okay?" Alfred asked carefully. He saw the other jump and freeze. 

"No." Feliciano whispered, looking back at Alfred. A somber look painting his face. "Not really."

"Why?" 

"I...don't know." He sighed, looking away and down to his lap. "I just can't take being in this house with everyone for so long, I guess."

"I get that." Alfred stepped up to the couch. Feliciano seemed to make himself smaller as Alfred grew closer, moving away and deeper into the corner. Even more so, when Alfred sat down. Alfred had to be honest with himself. He understood that feeling of wanting to be alone and small; forgotten for once. He smiled softly in understanding. "It's tiring being around everyone all the time."

"A break would be nice."

"Escapism isn't always nice, you know."

"Of course, I know that." Feliciano rolled his eyes at Alfred. "I get criticized for that all the damn time."

"Okay, calm down." Alfred chuckled a bit nervously. "If you want a break, I have the perfect place for you to go."

"Really?" Feliciano uncurled a bit like a curious cat.

"Yeah, I go there when I'm sick and tired of anything." Alfred grinned.

"Where is it?"

"The basement."

"You're not going to murder me, are you?"

Alfred laughed, "No!" He took a breath to stop his loud laughter. "I would never do that. Unless you give me a reason, of course, but the basement is my escape."

"And you're letting me see it?" A smile finally makes it to Feliciano's lips. The exclusivity clearly drawing him in.

"Yeah."

The two made their way to the door that led to the basement. Alfred silently pulled a key from his pocket and unlocked the door. He went in obviously expecting  Feliciano to follow behind. The two descended the down the creaky wood stairs, eventually ending up on the ground where two doors stood. One metal and the other wooden.

"What's this door?" Feliciano pointed to the metal one.

"That's the wine cellar." Alfred passively answered, pulling out another key and unlocking the wooden door. The door creaked open. He switched on the lights to reveal a bed, a recliner facing a giant TV, a coffee table filled with books, and three doors. Alfred pointed to the two on the opposite wall to them. "The left one is the bathroom and the right one has a bunch of snacks in case you get hungry. The third one is locked so I'm trusting you not to break into that one."

"Don't worry, I won't." Feliciano flashed a smile with a playful salute.

"Good." Alfred chuckled in amusement. "You can stay here as long as you want."

"What do you usually need this place for?"

"You know how as countries we have piles of work to do constantly?"

"Yes."

"Well, imagine yours and quadruple it and that's what I have. I have to basically live down here on those days. It's so no one bothers me."

"That's super smart! Now I want one."

"It's not as fun as it seems." Alfred's smile grew a tad somber. "But, anyway, it's getting late so, goodnight."

"Goodnight!" With that, Alfred left, making his way upstairs. He simply shut the basement door, not thinking of locking it in case Feliciano wanted to get out.

It was as he made his way upstairs to his room that he realized how dumb his plan had been. There was really nothing exciting down in the basement except his office. He couldn't exactly let the others in there. Confidential information and all that. Perhaps the original plan of a campfire outside would work out better. He had to consult Toris about it.

As he made his way down the hall, quiet murmurs came from all the rooms muffling his foot steps. It always almost soothing hearing the faint noise in the usually empty house for once. He slipped into his room. The quiet click of the door seemingly echoed. A single lamp illuminated the room. Toris lay at his side on the bed watching Alfred.

Alfred gave a warm smile sprinkled with the faintest mischief. He didn't hesitate to slip off his shirt. He turned to the drawers. While throwing the used shirt into the hamper in the corner, Alfred opened the drawer second to the top. He pulled out a shirt and slipped it on. He glanced over to Toris and he unbuckled his belt. Toris' stare had grown in intensity. Alfred near smirked as he slipped off his jeans and threw them in the hamper. He quickly replaced them with a pair of sweatpants from one drawer down. He shut the drawer and turned to make his way to the bed.

He slipped in nicely. The matress creaking with his unexpected weight and the covers wrinkling with using movements. He met Toris' eyes.

"You're the worst, you know that?" Toris blurted out with a slight hint of shame in his voice.

"I think the whole world knows that." 

"You're right."

"Wow, I see how it is." Alfred faked a pout. "I was going to tell you something important but I guess I shouldn't now." He shifted his eyes away from Toris to the wall behind Toris.

"One less thing to stress about." Toris shifted and flipped himself so he was facing wall.

"You're not mad, are you?" Alfred shifted closer, resting his chin on the other's shoulder. His arm draping over his waist to pull him closer.

"No, but you drive me absolutely insane at times."

"To be fair, you choose to worry too much."

"It's not like I can help it."

"Then what if I told you that I won't change anymore plans?"

"You're kidding."

"I'm not."

"So, I worried for nothing."

"Sorry about that." He lightly pecked Toris' shoulder. "I'll make up for it, I promise."

"Promise?"

"A guaranteed promise darlin'."

Toris sighed, "I would have forgiven you anyway."

"I know but I like to go the extra mile."