11

The fire crackled and popped. Alfred stared quietly into the flames as they danced through the wood and leaves beneath. Turning once solid objects into nothing but ash. His blank face showing concentration. Had he not been breathing, he could easily be mistaken for a doll. The sun sat high in the sky, the smoke disappearing a few feet into the air. 

"What are you thinking about?" Toris asked suddenly, popping up from behind him with some snacks in hand. He threw the few bag of chips onto the blanket nearby. Ash falling on the grass just inches away from it. 

"A big convoluted metaphor." Alfred turned to Toris with a grin. 

"Please don't tell me what it is."

"I won't." He stepped away from the other to grab one of the many camp chairs he had laying on the ground. "I wouldn't want to get philosophical right now, it's way too early for that." He continued as he set up the first chair, unfolding it into place. 

"It's noon, Alfred." 

"Too early, I tell you."

"Is that why you told me not to wake anyone up?"

"Yep, I want the fire to be a surprise." He set up another chair not far from the first one. "Plus they all need a break from yesterday."

"I feel like you're the one that needs more of break than them."

"I'm used to no breaks." He shrugged.

"You sure do forget to practice what you preach." Toris mumbled as he went along and helped Alfred. He grabbed about three chairs and went opposite to Alfred. 

"Can't help that, you know. That's just how the people are." 

"You're right." The two went silent. An understanding carried through between them. Both opting to focus on the task of setting up rather than dwelling on the idea that they couldn't entirely control their own lives. It was a philosophical topic, and as established, it was far too early for that.  

They finished in a few minutes. The crackling of the fire filling the silence. Even soothing the tension. They sat down next to each other and watched the fire as it crackled and popped. 

"Why does this remind me of the one cereal?"

"Probably because you're hungry."

"I mean, you're right. I'm starving." Toris smiled at Alfred's words. He stood up and walked off for a moment. He returned with a bag of chips in hand and threw it at the other. The bag managed to hit Alfred square in the face.

"Take care of yourself." He said sitting down.

"I do." Alfred protested, opening the bag.

"Liar."

"I am no liar."

"Liar." Another voice added in.

"Lovino, how dare you betray me like this?" Alfred put a hand to his heart to add some dramatic effect. "I thought we were friends."

Lovino chuckled, "You could put comedians out of work with that one."

"I'm taking that as a compliment." Alfred shoved a handful of chips into his mouth.

"So, what's with the fire?"

"Today Alfred planned an all day cookout and campfire." Toris answered, reaching over to Alfred for a handful of chips.

"I'm not surprised." Lovino smiled. "That's his tradition."

Alfred chuckled, "Didn't realize you were paying attention to the things I do."