Chapter 6

Okay, so if you've noticed, I've taken a little break from this story. I'm back now :) thanks to some supportive comments.

Anyways, here's the 6th chapter of the Suicide Games. Enjoy!!! Warning: content is slightly disturbing

***************************************************************

October Week 1

            I lay across my bed in my silent house on a Saturday night, my parents out at a dinner party with clients and my sister staying at a friend’s house. I listened to the endless ticking of the kitchen clock from my open door. With a sigh, I padded across the room on my fluffy white carpet, brushing away the curtain from my window as I looked outside at the faint barren trees. A few flashlights cut across the lawn, illuminating the driveway and the motion sensor lights flood on at the end of the driveway. I opened the window, my faint voice carrying across the silence of the street. “Guys?”

            Someone gasped, followed by a muffled curse as a flashlight fell to the asphalt, cracking and plunging a spot of area in darkness. “Kaylee!” They hissed. Scarlett.

            I winced, smiling hesitantly. “Sorry!” I mentally face palmed myself after asking, “Wait, what’s the password?”

            I could practically imagine Sophie rolling her kohl eyes before sneering. “Yolo.”

            I pursed my lips, cocking my hip to the side. “And the second one?” Sophie let out a low growl before shining her flashlight to the door and starting towards it, her boots leaving indentations in the damp grass. Before she reached it, I ran down stairs, opening the door hastily.

            “Be quiet!” I hissed, rushing them all inside. After Addison trudged through the threshold, I peeked around her shoulder at the lifeless neighborhood and let out a sigh, closing the door after her.

            “God, why are you so paranoid?” Sophie asked in a monotone, brushing past me up the stairs to my room.

            “Because,” I defend, darting in front of them all to turn on the light to my room, “My parents don’t let me have friends over when they’re not home.”

            She flashes a why-do-we-have-to-be-stuck-with-her look to Scarlett and Scarlett looks at her deeply, giving her a she’s-our-friend-so-be-nice stare back. Sophie huffed before reaching under my bed to pull out a binder filled with notes. She passed a piece of paper along to each of us, slapping mine down on my thigh with a glare when she came to me. We all turned the paper over, reading the words already engraved in our minds from a month ago.

            The Suicide Games Rules:

1. Everyone needs to find and bring their own gun to every meeting

2. Once committed, you can't back out

3. After every meeting you need to think of and rehearse what you will say in January

4. Under no circumstances is a member to tell a nonmember about the game

Carly interrupted our reading. “What happens if someone breaks a rule?” She bit on her already bitten to the quick cuticle, drawing blood. But she hardly noticed, brushing the finger across her blue jeans and staring at us with wide eyes.

Sophie frowned, setting down her paper in her lap. “Death.”

Addison spoke for the first time, jumping up in my swivel chair. “You’re not serious.”

Sophie smiled cruelly, her lips turning up maliciously. She stood up from my bed, walking slowly toward her as she cowered back in the chair. I looked around the room at everyone’s fear stricken expressions and finally realized. They were all just as afraid as I was of Sophie. They didn’t have the guts to stick up to her. And neither did I.

She leaned in close to her, loud enough for all of us to make out the faint whispering. “I think you know I am. I. will.kill. you.” Then she turned around, pasting a plastic smile on her face and clapping her hands together. “Now,” She giggled spastically before turning dead serious. “We need to plan. Who knows what they will say?"

After a few beats of silence she closed her eyes, silently fuming, before snapping them open with an annoyed sigh. “Okay, well first of all, does anyone have a video camera?" I stood up from my spot on my carpet and reached inside my small closet, handing her a purple camcorder. Sophie snatched it, curling her lip at me as flipped the screen up and turned it on. "And a gun?" Everyone paused before Carly slowly pulled out a black gun from her bag, hands shaking as she held it out to Sophie.

Sophie smirked and twirled the gun in the air, catching it cleanly. She suddenly whipped around, holding the gun down in front of Carly's face.

Her face paled dramatically as she stared up at Sophie. “Sophie please give it back! There's real bullets in there.” Sophie shook her head smiling, pushing the gun right up to Scarlett's temple. 

"Sophie stop! Just give it back so we can plan." I pleaded with my eyes at Sophie, willing her to do as I said.

Sophie scoffed and rolled her eyes, tossing the gun carelessly back to Carly who barely caught it. “God, you guys. Calm the fuck down, I was just kidding."

"Yeah but you still shouldn't have done it…” I dropped off, too scared to continue. I turned to Addison who shrugged at me helplessly, pushing her hair in front of her face.

Sophie stepped toward me, venom dripping off her words. “Just back off. I said I was joking so chill.” I nodded weakly, risking a glance to Scarlett who smiled softly.

The sound of the garage door opening froze everyone in place. “Shit.” Mumbled Sophie. "Okay, next time everyone bring what you will say." She sprinted over to my window, sliding the glass up. “Hurry up!” Sophie hissed to the other girls and they scurried after, stepping onto the outside balcony and climbing down the house using the gutter.

Addison stayed behind as we watched them fall to the ground with a soft thud, snapping on their flashlights once they were a safe distance away. I turned to her, shaking my head. “I don’t even know what to say. Sophie is insane.”

“I know,” she replied, staring off into the complete darkness, “But I've been friends with her since kindergarten. I've learned to tolerate her."

I nodded once. “Yeah, but what she just did and is doing is evil and not normal."

Immediately I knew I had said the wrong thing. She narrowed her eyes at me, pursing her lips. “She’s one of my best friends, Kaylee. No offense but I've known her a lot longer than you and I don't think you have the right to judge her like that when you barely know her."

I crossed my arms over my chest. “I’m sorry.”

Her features softened tremendously and she reached out to hug me. “I know,” she whispered, tickling my ear, “She can be a little intense. But once you get to really know her, she'll affect your life in ways you never could've imagined."

“Yeah.” I replied weakly, staring at the ground. She broke away from the affection before softly calling over her shoulder, dripping with sarcasm. “See you Monday at school. Yay.”

“See you.” I whispered as I watched her slide her slim body through the window and disappear across the side of my house before jumping on her roof, grabbing onto the sill to her window and sliding inside. The houses were so close together, she could do that.

The next few months were going to be filled with so much pain and suffering. I don’t know if I will be able to deal with it all.

*************************************************************

And there we go. :) Hope you enjoyed it! If so, please leave a comment or vote. I really enjoy seeing feedback. :)

Next update: Monday

Sneak Peek: someone has a secret