Chapter 37

I wake up with a start, almost feeling the pain from the dagger. My eyes glance over to the window noticing it is still dark outside. A sigh escapes my lips, knowing that I won't be able to fall back asleep in fear of having to see Niklaus' face so vividly again.

My body moves to stand up while grabbing my blanket from the end of the bed. I wrap the blanket around me, not needing the warmth but liking the feeling of security. 

My feet make no sound as I exit the dungeons and decide to walk around the castle. Curfew has started, but I stay in the shadows silently so I don't get caught.

An hour passes until I round the corner by the Gryffindor common room for the second time around since I have already lapped around the entire castle. Fred emerges from the painting, rubbing his tired eyes. 

He looks up when he hears my voice, "Can't sleep?"

Fred walks over to me with a sleepy smile on his face, hugging his large red knit sweater with an F on it. We walk over to the walk and slide down to sit, both of us tired.

He answers my earlier question, "Nope. What's got you up at this hour?"

"Reliving the lovely memory of Niklaus daggering me five hundred years ago."

Fred frowns at this, "I'm sorry you had to see that again."

My shoulders shrug since this isn't the first time I have relived this memory or any for that matter. "It is what it is. I was reminded that he's still out there, terrorizing the supernatural world  and killing innocent humans." 

"And now you are here where you know who is back and is probably wanting to hurt us all."

I pull my lips into a tight line, "Stuck between two evils, both deadly in their own way."

We stay quiet for a few minutes, both trapped in our own thoughts. I lean my head on his shoulder, "Hey Freddie?"

His voice is soft and calming as he asks, "Yes?"

"Do you think it's possible that someone that evil can change for the better?" My mind goes to Niklaus, wondering if there is maybe one thing that could change his ways. I know Elijah has exhausted all his ideas the past millennium. 

He lets out a sigh, knowing that the chance is rare. "I think you know who will never change his ways. It's a waiting game with him now to see his next move." I nod, agreeing with his perspective. "But your brother though, he has unlimited time to finally make things right with you and everyone else."

My eyes close, envisioning a life where our family was happy and free of any attempts to hurt one another. But as long as Father is out there hunting us down, Niklaus will always protect himself above all. I open my eyes, "Time and time again, Niklaus has hurt us all. I fear that not even that perfect someone for him could change him completely."

"You don't know that. Look at you...you never thought you would change or fall in love but here we are."

I look down at my lap when he says this, knowing that the love George and I hold for one another will never be more than the friendship we have. I am grateful to have him, but I feel a small hole in my heart that is in need of being filled. 

"Maybe there is hope for Niklaus to find love. I just hope I can find it again."

I feel Fred's eyes shift to look at me, "I think you will."

I finally pull my head up so my eyes can meet his. It is evident in his eyes that he cares about my happiness, something that warms my heart. "How can you be so sure? I was lucky that someone was able to overlook who I am and what I've done."